Consulting

Thread: Finding name of new text box

Finding name of new text box

Hello

I'm new to Powerpoint VBA, so apologies for what will seem like a basic question.

I have set-up a click button on a slide. When clicked it creates a text box, which I then want to able to manipulate in various ways e.g change the size and so on.

As far as I can tell, powerpoint assigns the new text box a name based on how many other controls have been created.For example it might be textbox4, textbox10 or textbox20. I would like to be able to identify the name of the box as soon as it is created, and then rename it so I can refer to it later in the code. I thought this would be straightforward, but I haven't been able to find a way of doing this.

I can refer to it by a shapes index number, but I think that relies on the new text box always having the same index.

Grateful for any advice/help. The code associated with the command click event is below. At the moment I am identifying the textbox name by changing the index in the final line until it gets to the right control, but that isn't a very satisfactory way of doing it.

Private Sub CmdTextMake_Click()
    Set myDocument = ActivePresentation.Slides(3)
    myDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox(Orientation:=msoTextOrientationHorizontal, _
        Left:=100, Top:=100, Width:=200, Height:=50).TextFrame.TextRange.Text = "Test Box"
    MsgBox ("Active shape is " & myDocument.Shapes(2).Name)
    End Sub
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 07-29-2022 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added code tags to supplied code

VBAX Master

Dim mydocument As Slide
    Set mydocument = ActivePresentation.Slides(3)
    With mydocument.Shapes.AddTextbox(Orientation:=msoTextOrientationHorizontal, _
        Left:=100, Top:=100, Width:=200, Height:=50)
        .TextFrame.TextRange.Text = "Test Box"
        .Name = " A_Unique_Name"
    End With
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

Hi John

That works. Thank you very much.

Chris