Consulting

Thread: Variable look up fields based on Value from different cell.

VBAX Newbie
    Variable look up fields based on Value from different cell.

Hi Experts,

I am trying to return a text based on a different cell value and sum, example below.

in the attached excel workbook in column B we have repeating numbers (111S,112S,113S) column C has a QTY and D has a place.
    Column J has the same repeating numbers as column B but the QTY in column K is different to column C.

I want to return the value from D in column L but taking into consideration the QTY in column K.

example 1.
    Column J has 111S 3 times, with a total QTY of 9, I want column L to display F in (L2) as it is looking for the same code (111S) in column B and the QTY in column C and returning the value in column D. I want P in L3 & L4) as it knows L2 has accounted for the total QTY of (111S) in the first row with (111S) so it looks for the next QTY of (111S).

Example 2.
    Column J has 112S 6 times, with a total QTY of 6, I want column L to display PK in the first 5 rows (112S) is in column J, as the the first (112S) in column B has QTY 5 in PK, and on the next (112S) in in column L should be N as the first 5 have been accounted for in the first 5 (112S) in column L.

Example 3.
    Column J has 113S in 1 time with a total QTY of 5, I want column L to display L, as the first time (113S) appears in column B it has a QTY smaller than the QTY in column K it would display the value from row 8 as it equals or is greater then the value in column K.

I have added some detail in the attached workbook.

Thanks in advance
    Gavin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    At a first exploration this looks difficult to solve and I don't know whether I can help.
    So a few questions:
    1. What version of Excel are you using?
    2. Would a macro be OK?
    3. If not a macro, would a User Defined Function be OK? (It uses a macro, but you use it just like a formula.)
    4. Is the worksheet function LAMBDA available to you?

And another:
    If a new line was placed at the bottom of the right hand table being:
    Code QTY
    113S 1

what would be the Place?

For others, it looks like the table on the left is a stock inventory, with the items being Code, the Place being a location/bin and QTY being the count of those items in the bin.
    The table on the right is the demand for stock and the OP wants to know which bin he can fetch the entire stock from to fulfil one row's demand (no picking items from 2 bins to fulfil the demand on one row).
    It looks like there's a preference to take stock from the higher rows of the inventory first, and the demand table on the right seems to be processed top down too.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    At a first exploration this looks difficult to solve and I don't know whether I can help.
    So a few questions:
    1. What version of Excel are you using?
    2. Would a macro be OK?
    3. If not a macro, would a User Defined Function be OK? (It uses a macro, but you use it just like a formula.)
    4. Is the worksheet function LAMBDA available to you?

And another:
    If a new line was placed at the bottom of the right hand table being:
    Code QTY
    113S 1

what would be the Place?

For others, it looks like the table on the left is a stock inventory, with the items being Code, the Place being a location/bin and QTY being the count of those items in the bin.
    The table on the right is the demand for stock and the OP wants to know which bin he can fetch the entire stock from to fulfil one row's demand (no picking items from 2 bins to fulfil the demand on one row).
    It looks like there's a preference to take stock from the higher rows of the inventory first, and the demand table on the right seems to be processed top down too.
    Hi P45cal, thanks for responding.
    Firstly let me apologies for not including the information in my original post.
    I am working with version 365.
    A macro will be fine
    I don't have LAMBDA
    If a new line was added with the 113S code it would be PK

Thanks,
    Gavin

If your version is O365 then I'm surprised you don't have LAMBDA. You should also have LET. Are you up to date?
    I'll try putting together a UDF, then maybe a formula.
    Was my interpretation 'For others…" accurate?
    It's 11pm where I am so I'll look at this tomorrow sometime.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Newbie
    You are correct I do have LAMBDA and LET.
    Your interpretation is frightening accurate
    Once again thanks for your help.

Check the attached. A single cell formula in K3:
    =PickLocations(H3:I13,B3:D9)
    If you bring up the Function Arguments dialogue it's obvious where things go in the formulaL
    2022-08-02_145611.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    p45cal

VBAX Newbie
    Thank you so much for your help