Consulting

Thread: Help: Capture file location on the first opening of a workbook/workbook open event

VBAX Mentor
    Help: Capture file location on the first opening of a workbook/workbook open event

Dear Experts,

I have the following 2 workbooks (1) Checklist and (2) Database. I wanted to open the Workbook("Database") when I open the Workbook("Checklist"). Currently, I have hard-coded the database location in the workbook open event. Is there any way by which the database location can be captured in the workbook open event by using an input box when a user opens the Workbook("Checklist") for the first time?

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
        LPDBFile = "https://abccompany-my.sharepoint.com/personal/anish_ms_abccompany_com/Documents/Test/LP%20Database.xlsm"
        Set LPDBWBook = Application.Workbooks.Open(Filename:=LPDBFile, ReadOnly:=False)
    End Sub
    Thanks in advance!

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    You can store a default file name in a cell on a sheet somewhere. For example you could have a sheet called Control and have cell A1 contain the file name and path. You might want to hide the sheet.
    Get the code to see if there's anything in that cell, and if there is, use it, but if there isn't use Application.GetOpenFilename to get the user to pick the file. As soon as he does that his pick goes into that cell A1.
    Perhaps the likes of:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    LPDBFile = Me.Sheets("Control").Range("A1").Value
    If Len(LPDBFile) = 0 Then
      LPDBFile = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel Files, *.xls*")
      If LPDBFile <> False Then Me.Sheets("Control").Range("A1").Value = LPDBFile
    End If
    Set LPDBWBook = Application.Workbooks.Open(Filename:=LPDBFile, ReadOnly:=False)
    End Sub
    Here it will complain if cell A1 is empty AND the user cancels out of picking a file, but you get the gist.
    Consider also using Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker) instead of GetOpenFilename.
    To reset the filename, just delete cell A1.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Mentor