Consulting

Thread: Deleting specific text, but not all, in parentheses

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VBAX Regular
    Thumbs up Deleting specific text, but not all, in parentheses

Hi, I have been trying to solve this for days. I have tried manipulating every example I could find online, but nothing works the way I need it. I just can't figure out how to have the VBA only process something if it is within an opening parentheses "(" and to stop looking if find "%)" The way mine is working is that it may sometimes delete everything from a semicolon in regular text to %). Oops.

One problem is that the phrases are not always the same length. The other is that sometimes a comma is used and sometimes a semicolon.

I have text within parentheses that I want to find and only keep "(" up to the ";" or "," and then delete from to "%)"

Another way to do it, I think, could be from within parentheses - any phrase after ; or , that contains ">" or "<"

Example: I want to delete everything after the semicolon through "%)"

(VCI = 106, PR = 66, Average range, CI = 98-113; VCI > MIS, BR = <=15%) To:
    (
    VCI = 106, PR = 66, Average range, CI = 98-113)
    ------

I also want to completely delete the phrase below. From "(" to ")"
    (VCI > WMI, BR = 21.6%; VCI > PSI, BR = 1.7%)

Thing that I want to keep the same:
    (SI = 11; VC = 11)
    (SI = 11, VC = 10)
    (SI = 8, VC = 8)
    (IN = 7)

Another problem is that there are different abbreviations (2 or 3), numbers can have a length of 1, 2, 3, or 4, BR =<= can be different (but always include < or >

I'm not if this makes sense. I'm uploading a document. I'm not pasting code I've tried since it all failed in some way and there are about 50 atttempts.

Thank you so much!

Btw, I am a school psychologist working for a single psychologist. Deleting all of the above from reports takes forever and insurance does not cover much that I do. "Boss" is my husband...

-Ashley
    Attached Files Attached Files