Consulting

Thread: Help - macro to insert a return before each capital letter in selected text failing

VBAX Regular
    Help - macro to insert a return before each capital letter in selected text failing

Hi,

I need help with a macro that will insert a hard return before every capital letter in a selected text range. I do not want to either delete or change the capital letters in any way.

I am copying Medieval poetry from an image file into a Word document using a screen capture and OCR program (ShareX). Unfortunately, the hard returns in the image are not recognized.

So text formatted like the following,

That thou forget not this for nothing;
    But look, thou hold it well in thy mind,
    For the best thou shalt it find.
    For, as the wise man saith and proveth,

becomes a single paragraph rather than formatted poetry when I paste it into a Word Document:

Child, I bid thee on my blessing, That thou forget not this for nothing; But look, thou hold it well in thy mind, For the best thou shalt it find. For, as the wise man saith and proveth,

forcing me to insert hard returns manually

I want to use a VBA macro to insert hard returns in the original text into my Word document

After consulting various Internet Word websites, I wrote a macro based on the following principles:

1. Find each of the capitals in the selected text with a FIND statement
    2. Note:
      1. Invariably a capital letter starts a new line of verse.
      2. If there are any exceptions I would manually edit them.

3. While the Find code is running insert a hard return before every capital letter.

This is the resulting macro:

Sub InsertReturnsBeforeCapitalLetters()
    'Find all captial letters in selected range and insert a hard return before each one
    With Selection.Find
        Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
        With Selection.Find
            .Text = "[A-Z]"
            .Replacement.Text = "   "
            .Forward = True
            .Wrap = wdFindAsk
            .Format = False
            .MatchCase = False
            .MatchWholeWord = False
            .MatchWildcards = True
            .MatchSoundsLike = False
            .MatchAllWordForms = False
        End With
    'Insert a paragraph return before each capital letter found
    Do While Selection.Find.Found
    'Do I need 'Selection.InsertBefore' here?               
             Selection.InsertBreak
    Loop
    End With
    End Sub
    Unfortunately it is not reformatting the select text for reasons I cannot determine. The text remains unchanged.

I would be grateful for any help forum members could give me in this regard.

My kind thanks for your help, advice and suggestions.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 11-15-2022 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added code tags to supplied code

VBAX Mentor
    I see nothing that inserts a carriage return/line feed.

I doubt Word VBA is case sensitive by default. Most likely A=a.

And if you did get the insert to work, what do you think would happen if text contains proper name?
    How to attach file: Reading and Posting Messages (vbaexpress.com), click Go Advanced below post edit window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

VBAX Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I see nothing that inserts a carriage return/line feed.

I doubt Word VBA is case sensitive by default. Most likely A=a.

And if you did get the insert to work, what do you think would happen if text contains proper name?
    Thanks for your comment. I very much appreciate it.

I'm a novice user of Word VBA, but as far as I know Word VBA can be case sensitive. If you again look at my code you should notice two things. Firstly, I am using wild chads to search for capitals: My understanding is [A-Z] stands for any capital letter. Secondly, I have set the Find parameter 'MatchWildcards' to 'True'.

Here is an example of a vba search for capital letters using wild cards:

Sub Demo()
    Dim fRng As Range
    With Selection.Find
      .ClearFormatting
      .Text = "[A-Z]{3}"
      .MatchWildcards = True
      .Wrap = wdFindContinue
      .Forward = True
      Do While .Execute = True
        Set fRng = ActiveDocument.Range(Start:=Selection.Start, End:=Selection.End)
        If Len(fRng.Words(1)) > 4 And fRng.Words(1).Case = 1 Then _
          fRng.Words(1).Font.Color = wdColorDarkRed
      Loop
    End With
    Set fRng = Nothing
    End Sub
    Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...er-in-word-vba

My problem is that I don't have enough knowledge of Word VBA to get my macro to work.

Thanks again for your comments. I very much appreciate them.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 11-15-2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added code tags to supplied code

This is the best I could handle. As per your example in post #1 try this but it will error on "Child, I bid ...":
    Option Explicit
    Sub InsertReturnsBeforeCapitalLetters_new()
        Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
        With Selection.Find
            .Text = " (<[A-Z]*)"
            .Replacement.Text = "^p\1"
            .MatchWildcards = True
            .Forward = True
            .Wrap = wdFindAsk
            .Format = False
            .MatchCase = False
            .MatchWholeWord = False
            .MatchSoundsLike = False
        End With
        Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    End Sub

VBAX Regular

Thanks for your suggestion. I very much appreciate it. Unfortunately it chrashes on "Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll" with the error message, Run-time error ‘5623’, “The replacement text contains a group number that’s out of range

Anyway, I do not think your suggestion will do what I want. Your replacement statement in 'Selection.Find' looks like it will replace the capital letter with a line break. I do not want the capital letter replaced. I want a line break (return whatever) inserted before the capital letters. I need the capital letters since they are an integral part of the text.

Since my original post I have revised my macro to the following:

With Selection.Find
        With Selection.Find
            .Text = "[A-Z]"
            .Forward = True
            .Wrap = wdFindContinue
            .Format = False
            .MatchCase = False
            .MatchWholeWord = False
            .MatchWildcards = True
            .MatchSoundsLike = False
    End With
    Do While Selection.Find.Found = True
    Selection.InsertBefore vbNewLine
    Loop
    End With
    This is the text I am working with:

All that have young people, good manners set them to learn; To their elders with gentle conditions let do nor say no harm. If they do ill, wise men may report their parents soon How should they teach other good, belike themselves cary none. A good father maketh good children, if wisdom be them within,

When I run this macro (with a stop statement) I get the following result:

All that have young people, good manners set them to learn; To their elders with gentle conditions let do nor say no harm. If they do ill, wise men may report their parents soon How should they teach other good, belike themselves cary none. A good father maketh good children, if wisdom be them within,

It would seem that the find statement is not advancing through the selected text. Instead, it keeps finding the very first capital letter and only inserting a line break before this capital letter (note: to get the above result I ran the macro three times with a Stop statement). I have tried starting it at the second capital letter, but I get the same result.

I have tried changing the line break insertion Do While loop, but to no avail e.g.:

Do while Selection.Find.Found = true or Selection.Find.Execute

So if you or anyone else has any suggestions as to how I can make the Selection.Find statement run through the whole selected text, I would be grateful.

My problem seems to be that I cannot get the Selection.Find statement to advance to each capital letter. This is even though I have Wrap set to 'Wrap = wdFindContinue". I am not sure where the problem lies: in the Selection.Find statement or in the Do Loop/Execute statement.

Thanks again for your suggestion. I very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 11-16-2022 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added code tags to supplied code

No idea on how you used my suggestion but if you create a new clean file and paste my macro as it is it will work exactly for what it's supposed to do, that is, insert a Return before every capital letter.

VBAX Regular
    Sorry! My mistake. your macro works fine

Quote Originally Posted by rollis13 View Post
    No idea on how you used my suggestion but if you create a new clean file and paste my macro as it is it will work exactly for what it's supposed to do, that is, insert a Return before every capital letter.
    Sorry, I made a mistake running your macro. I've run it again and it works great.

Thanks so much for your kind effort and help.

Again, my apologies for not running your macro correctly in the first place.

Now I'm much happier having been of some help.