Consulting

Thread: Is there a way to disable the "Restrict Editing" button ?

VBAX Regular
    Is there a way to disable the "Restrict Editing" button ?

Hello everyone !

So my job is to create many different templates that can help my friends at work. I work for the support team. So if anyone needs help with a template or need a new template they come to me. The problem is we have a password we use for all the templates and we aren't able to change it due to some rules. Some people know the code and unprotect the document which messes up the macros. So, is there a way to disable the restrict editing button that makes the deprotection possible ?

What control or menu selection are you referring to as 'restrict editing button' ?

I suppose you could reprotect the document with your macros and then password protect the VBA project, but I don't know of a way to disable the option. This is better addressed by training the staff, or changing the rule that prevents you from changing the password.
        If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType = wdNoProtection Then
            ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyReading, NoReset:=True, Password:="Password"
        End If
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

VBAX Regular
    We've been doing that but you know some people always think they can go under the radar :/

Ok ... you ask a question and for further understanding I responded with a question which you ignored. Remember that you came here for
    assistance from volunteers. Impolite to ignore the volunteers.

Second question: Would it assist your effort to have a macro that records who is editing the document ?

VBAX Regular
    As i said i am on this forum when im at work. So i don’t have all the time for it. You could’ve assumed maybe that i may have forgotten to answer and not that i didn’t skip your question on purpose. Whatever anyway.

There is only one button on the developer tab that is called Restreic editing.

My version of Excel does not include the "Restrict Editing" selection.

Disregard my second question as it apparently has no value to your possible solution.

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    Actually Logit, you may well be on the right track here. Why can't we record who is opening the file, and who is altering the macros or formula, to another linked file?
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

VBAX Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by OGKro View Post

There is only one button on the developer tab that is called Restrict editing.
    The button also appears on the Review tab.

You could use XML to modify the Ribbon in your document templates to remove the buttons altogether. This will not keep a determined person from using the function, just make it harder. (P.S. you don't even need the password.)

Customize the Office Ribbon (It doesn't take rocket science) by Greg Maxey

VBAX Regular
    Thank you for that link. I'll give it a try and see if they find out or not !