Consulting

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: IF statment nested within VBA Code

VBAX Regular
    IF statment nested within VBA Code

Hello everyone, Noob Scuba here

I have only just began to dabble with VBA code and have created the below code, which works perfectly for me, until such time as I introduce some extra IF statements and then it breaks, so I'm looking for some help please, if possible.

I have an excel spreadsheet (its a rate calculator) and I would the existing code below to still run as is but also be able to insert additional if statements under each 'CASE' headings as I need to hide or unhide certain rows depending on what text is inserted into cell C4 of the excel sheet.

I'm using Office 365.

Hopefully some here can help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
    Richard

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Address = "$C$3" Then
            Range("C4").Value = "Please Select Origin..."
            End If
    Dim changed As Range
    Set changed = Intersect(Target, Range("C3"))
    If Not changed Is Nothing Then
        Select Case Target.Value
            Case "Air"
                ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="dlm"
                Range("A10:A19").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A39:A43").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A56:A58").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                If ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc").Range("$C$4").Value = ("Warsaw to New York") Then Range("A23").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="dlm"
            Case "Ocean_Asia_to_EU"
                Range("A8:A15").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                If ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc").Range("$C$4").Value = ("Shanghai to Genoa") Then Range("A23").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                    Range("A57").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                    Range("A51:A74").EntireRow.Hidden = True
            Case "Shanghai to Genoa"
                Range("A17:A19").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A8:A9").EntireRow.Hidden = False
                Range("A12").EntireRow.Hidden = False
                Range("A14").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A15").EntireRow.Hidden = False
                Range("A11").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A12").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A13:A15").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("C15:D15").ClearContents
                Range("C14:D14").ClearContents
                Range("D17:D19").ClearContents
                Range("C8:D8").ClearContents
                Range("C9:D9").ClearContents
            Case "Overland"
                Range("A8:A9").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A7:A12").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A15").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A14").EntireRow.Hidden = False
                Range("A18:A19").EntireRow.Hidden = True
                Range("A17").EntireRow.Hidden = False
                Range("C11:D11").ClearContents
                Range("C12:D12").ClearContents
                Range("C13:D13").ClearContents
           End Select
           Range("C3").Select
    End If
    End Sub
    PS i have no idea why emojis are replacing my text, when i edit and change to text, the emojis appear again?
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 09-05-2023 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Added code tags to supplied code.

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    Welcome to VBAX Richard. It an unfortunate thing within Excel that Smileys invade our text, formula and code. Microsoft have much to answer for in this aspect.

In relation to your code,

End If
    Dim changed As Range
    I'm struggling to understand the logic of your intention here. From your code I can only assume that the sheet is password protected, so how does one select cell C3? If cell C3 is not the target what then was the value of cell C4? This type of code should be something like this

Please note that in VBA, all "If" statements are bound by "If" and "End If". You have a number of "If" statements that have no "End If", which is non logical from a VBA point of view.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

VBAX Regular
    Firstly thank you for you quick answer and second apologies for my rudimentary coding.
    I'm still very new to VBA and learning by the day

This code works alongside excel, I have 2 drop cells )first one (c3) and 2nd one C4, which is conditional on what has been selected from C3, when the users selects from a drop down cell (C3), I auto automictically insert the value 'Please Select Origin...' into C4, because if I did not do this a lot other cells in excel show 'False' because the formulas can't calculate as the 2nd conditional drop down has not been selected ie cell (C4).
    the issue I'm having is everything works fine if don't add in additional IF statements, but the second I do nothing works, this worksheet has evolved now from the original where I could just hide and unhide specific rows base don the value in C3, i now need to add additional criteria to hide extra rows and also Active X check boxes but one step at a time, I would be happy to just be able to hide and unhide specific rows base of a value in C4, I then work on the check boxes afterwards.

I hope I'm making sense, sorry if I'm not, in summary I have a set of criteria that runs when C3 is selected, then under each heading that the user selects from C3 I need to run additional criteria based of cell C4 ie just like a conditional drop works

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiebear View Post
    Please note that in VBA, all "If" statements are bound by "If" and "End If".
    That is not actually true. You can have single line If ... Then ... statements that do not require an End If. So this is perfectly valid syntax:

If ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc").Range("$C$4").Value = ("Shanghai to Genoa") Then Range("A23").EntireRow.Hidden = True
    but the blue part is the only part that is contingent on the If statement. The three lines that follow are only contingent on the original Case statement.
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 09-05-2023 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added a line break for clarity
    Be as you wish to seem

VBAX Regular
    Understood, so how do you make so both parts are work together, i.e. the Case statement runs and then the additional If statements within each Case statement run as well.
    I only shows you 2 additional IF statements, I have more but just showed 2 because if I can get those 2 to work, I can probably work out how to get the rest working

VBAX Mentor
    if you mean there were emojis in your posted code, it was probably because you did not initially post code between CODE tags. Aussiebear edited your post to correct this. The forum will substitute certain character sequences for emojis unless you go to Advanced Editor and turn this off. Turn off is only for that edit session. Have to do it every time. Has nothing to do with MS or Excel or VBA. The takeaway here is to post code between CODE tags.
    How to attach file: Reading and Posting Messages (vbaexpress.com), click Go Advanced below post edit window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

VBAX Regular
    Sorry, very new to this forum and full rules etc, I'll learn, my questions were not relating to the way this forum changes my code when copying but how to get my example VBA to work correctly

VBAX Mentor
    i know that but you still needed to know how to correctly post code and why you got emojis.

Are you saying the two IIf() statements cause failure? What does "failure" mean - error message, wrong result, nothing happens?

Might provide your workbook for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: Reading and Posting Messages (vbaexpress.com), click Go Advanced below post edit window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

If all of those lines should be part of the If test, then it does require an End If as it is no longer a single line construction:

If ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc").Range("$C$4").Value = ("Shanghai to Genoa") Then
                    Range("A23").EntireRow.Hidden = True                Range("A57").EntireRow.Hidden = True
    End If
    Be as you wish to seem

VBAX Regular
    thanks VBAS Master, I'll try to add in some 'End If's' and see how I get one, I'm about to log off for the day but I'll be back on tomorrow, thanks for all your help everyone

Okay, now that I've had 4 hours of sleep, lets deal with a couple of issues.

Firstly @ June7, Emojis can and often do occur outside of the "forum". One can be constructing a document in word and using sub paragraphs denoted by (a), (b), © etc and the emojis will appear. it is definitely a MS thing, and one they have not fixed.

@Afltoon, After having a second thoughts about your statement, I agree, I was wrong, however as the code is currently presented by Richard, I am inclined to believe that there were a number of conditional statements attached to the "If" occurring on another sheet namely "Rate Calc". On that basis I believe you require an "End If" to enable returning to the Active sheet to continue the Case Select process. I may well be wrong, but that is my reading from the code as presented in Post #1.
    It's unclear to me, whether the ActiveSheet and ActiveWorkbook.Sheets('Rate Calc") are one and the same or different. If they are diferent sheets then this begs the question, on which sheet are we trying to hide the rows A23 and A51:A74?

@ Scuba, As I currently understand your ActiveSheet has two dropdown cells namely C3 and C4. Cell C3 has 4 options namely, "Air", "Ocean_Asia to EU", "Shanghai to Genoa" and "Overland", and you desire certain actions to take place depending on which option has been selected. The relevance of the message in cell C4 is still unclear to me. Is it because you are asking the user to select an option in cell C3 or C4? If its to select an option in cell C3 then a simple Messagebox would suffice.

Lets look at the actions undertaken in the first option of the case select, namely "Air"

I believe you could write this as ;
            Case "Air"
                Range ("A10:A19, A39:A43, A56:A58").EntireRow.Hidden = True _
               ActiceSheet.Protect.Password:= "dlm"
    Now comes the misleading bit. Can you clarify if the Activesheet and ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc") are different or the same sheet? In post #1 you suggested the cell C4 has a value "Please select Origin...". Did you intend for "Warsaw to New York" to be one of the options for the dropdown in cell C4? If it was an option then it messes with lines 2 and 3 of your original code as presented.

If ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc").Range("$C$4").Value = "Warsaw to New York" Then _
                Range("A23").EntireRow.Hidden = True
    Then we look at the case select option "Ocean_Asia to EU"

Case "Ocean_Asia_to_EU"
    This gets back to the point raised by Aftloon, as to whether ranges A51:A74 are part of the If statement or part of the conditions of the Case Select option. Also the line "Range("A57").entireRow.Hidden = true" is unnecessary since in the next line you have included it within the range A51:A74 as hidden.

In the next select option "Shanghai to Genoa", you have conflicting objectives.
            Case "Shanghai to Genoa"
    You are both hiding and unhiding certain rows, such as A12 for example. Which do you need it to be hidden or unhidden? Next you are attempting to Clear Contents of Rows that are hidden. What purpose does this serve?

Then we look at the next Select option "Overland"
    Case "Overland"
    Again you are over complicating things here by suggesting to hide rows which are then included within the next lines grouping to be hidden. Further down you suggest that Row A14 is not hidden but three lines down you surest its part of a group of lines that are hidden. Then again further down in the code you are clearing the contents of rows that are hidden from the User. What is the intent of doing this?

Can you either attach a sample workbook for us to see what you are attempting to complete, or failing that, please write out in plain English the logic flow of what you would like to happen please?

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
    Hello everyone, Noob Scuba here

I have only just began to dabble with VBA code and have created the below code, which works perfectly for me, until such time as I introduce some extra IF statements and then it breaks, so I'm looking for some help please, if possible.

I have an excel spreadsheet (its a rate calculator) and I would the existing code below to still run as is but also be able to insert additional if statements under each 'CASE' headings as I need to hide or unhide certain rows depending on what text is inserted into cell C4 of the excel sheet.

I'm using Office 365.

Hopefully some here can help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
    Richard

End If
    Dim changed As Range
        Select Case Target.Value
            Case "Air"
                If ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc").Range("$C$4").Value = ("Warsaw to New York") Then Range("A23").EntireRow.Hidden = True
            Case "Ocean_Asia_to_EU"
            Case "Shanghai to Genoa"
            Case "Overland"
           End Select
           Range("C3").Select
    End If
    End Sub
    PS i have no idea why emojis are replacing my text, when i edit and change to text, the emojis appear again?
    Firstly, there are a few issues in your code:

In the Set changed = Intersect(Target, Range("C3")) line, you're using Range("C3"), but you mentioned you want to check cell C4. You should change that line to Set changed = Intersect(Target, Range("C4")).

In your Select Case Target.Value statements, you are checking ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Rate Calc").Range("$C$4").Value, which is always checking the value of cell C4 on the "Rate Calc" sheet. If you want to check the value in cell C4 of the current worksheet, you should replace it with Range("C4").Value.

Here's an updated version of your code with these corrections:

End If

Dim changed As Range
        Set changed = Intersect(Target, Range("C4"))

Select Case Target.Value
                Case "Air"
                    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Air" goes here
                Case "Ocean_Asia_to_EU"
                    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Ocean_Asia_to_EU" goes here
                Case "Shanghai to Genoa"
                    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Shanghai to Genoa" goes here
                Case "Overland"
                    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Overland" goes here
            End Select
        End If
    End Sub
    You can now add additional Case statements under the Select Case structure for other conditions you want to check in cell C4 and adjust the code accordingly for each case.

Please make sure to replace ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for ... goes here with your actual code for hiding/unhiding rows based on the condition in cell C4.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 09-06-2023 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Added code tags to supplied code

VBAX Regular

Glad you had some sleep, although 4 hours is not long really lol

I'll do my best to answer all your point as clearly as possible

Confirming there are some IF statements on the rate Calc sheet and that ActiveSheet and ActiveWorkbook.Sheets('Rate Calc") are one and the same, that's just my ham fisted way of trying to get it to work for me, sorry my bad.

Cell 3 is my primary drop down list and consists of the below:

Air
    Ocean_EU_to_US
    Ocean_Asia_to_EU
    Overland

Cell C4 is my Secondary drop down and is dependent on what is selected from the primary dropdown (C3)

Air
    Warsaw to New York
    Warsaw to Los Angeles
    Malpensa to New York
    Malpensa to Los Angeles
    Heathrow to New York
    Heathrow to Los Angeles

Ocean_EU_to_US
    Genoa to New York
    Genoa/La Spezia to Los Angeles
    Gdynia to New York
    Gdynia to Los Angeles
    Hamburg to New York
    Hamburg to Los Angeles
    FXT/SOU to New York
    FXT/SOU to Los Angeles

Ocean_Asia_to_EU
    Shanghai to Genoa
    Xiamen to Genoa
    Shanghai to Gdynia/Gdansk
    Xiamen to Gdynia/Gdansk
    Shanghai to SOU/FXT
    Xiamen to SOU/FXT

Overland
    PL to UK
    UK to PL

I insert the value '"Please select Origin..' into cell C4 so its a prompt to tell the user to select from that drop down, it also serves another purpose in that, if that is displayed in C4 then my Rate Calc fields are all blank otherwise I get odd data appearing in the main rate calc sheet.

I am bastardising this Rate Calc from another customer of mine and so some of the actual lines that are showing hidden/unhidden/clear etc will be incorrect, this I'm not concerned with as I will clean this up once I understand how to incorporate the Case statements alongside the additional IF statements.

There will be some cross over between what is asked to be hidden and what is asked to be shown, based on what is selected in the primary drop down C3 and then further hidden/reveal requests when the secondary drop list activated.
    for example when Air is selected I don't need to show rows 23 to 25 as these are container information that is only used for Ocean movements.

If its easier i can share the actual document, once i work out how to attach it to this forum, i looked at all the icons but couldn't see once for attaching something, only for inserting an image or a video, no documents

Once again thank you for you help and patience

VBAX Regular

Thank you for your guidance, I will attempt to try this and will revert if I get any issues.

However when I think about this, I don't think this will work, unless I am misunderstanding something here(which is possible lol).

The Case values are referring to cell C3, whereas the IF statements will be referring the cell C4 so not sure if this change will work as Case Air = cell C3 and IF statements will = Cell C4 so when using Case "Air" wont it fail as we have said 'Set changed = Intersect(Target, Range("C4"))'?

End If
    Dim changed As Range
    Set changed = Intersect(Target, Range("C4"))
    Select Case Target.Value
    Case "Air"
    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Air" goes here
    Case "Ocean_Asia_to_EU"
    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Ocean_Asia_to_EU" goes here
    Case "Shanghai to Genoa"
    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Shanghai to Genoa" goes here
    Case "Overland"
    ' Your code for hiding/unhiding rows for "Overland" goes here
    End Select
    End If
    End Sub

Once again thank you and I am so glad I have chanced across this forum, it is really great.

regards

Richard
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 09-06-2023 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Added code tags to supplied code

Welcome to VBAX Deger, Thank you for your contribution, for it's nice to see new contributors. Just a couple of quick housekeeping hints, we try to wrap any supplied code with code tags. Please refer to the first line in my signature for a hint. Also it's not necessary to fully quote a response when making a post. I know they do it on some of the other forums, but here we take the view that it simply is a waste of whitespace. That aside, please keep up the great work.

@Scuba, click on Go Advanced, Manage Attachments, choose file, and Upload to attach a workbook. Make a note of the file size limits.

From your indications in post #13, there's probably no need to have Cell C4 reflect any message as its dependant dropdown depending on what has been selected in Cell C3. Other than that follow the advice offered by Deger, and workout clearly what needs to hidden or unhidden. BTW the same housekeeping advice go to you as well, please wrap your code with code tags.

VBAX Regular

VBAX Regular
    Stupid noob question, but what and where do I find 'Code Tags'?

Moderator VBAX Master georgiboy's Avatar
        Application.EnableEvents = False

Application.EnableEvents = True
            Exit Sub
        ElseIf Target.Address = "$C$4" Then
            Select Case Target.Offset(-1).Value
                Case "Air"
                    If Target.Value = "Warsaw to New York" Then
                    End If
                Case "Ocean_Asia_to_EU"
                    If Target.Value = "Shanghai to Genoa" Then
                    End If
                Case "Shanghai to Genoa"
                Case "Overland"
                    Range("C17:D17").ClearContents
                    Range("C18:D18").ClearContents
                    Range("C19:D19").ClearContents
            End Select
            Range("C3").Select
        End If

Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub
    In the code above the RED parts relate to C3 dropdown, the BLUE parts relate to C4 dropdown
    Last edited by georgiboy; 09-06-2023 at 07:22 AM.
    Click here for a guide on how to add code tags
    Click here for a guide on how to mark a thread as solved
    Click here for a guide on how to upload a file with your post

Excel 365, Version 2403, Build 17425.20146

Moderator VBAX Master georgiboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
    Stupid noob question, but what and where do I find 'Code Tags'?
    When you are writing the post, it is the # symbol in the mini ribbon
    Click here for a guide on how to add code tags
    Click here for a guide on how to mark a thread as solved
    Click here for a guide on how to upload a file with your post

Excel 365, Version 2403, Build 17425.20146