Consulting

Thread: Create new column in excel when email received.

VBAX Regular
    Create new column in excel when email received.

Good afternoon all,

I am wondering if somebody could help me with this, I have tried to piece together some code but I am getting nowhere, I am not familiar with using VBA for outlook.

I am trying to get VBA to create a new column in my excel workbook when an email with a specific subject arrives in the shared mailbox.

The process is explained below:

1. The new email is generated from an existing script which has a pre-determined subject.
    2. Inside the email is a department, surname and forename.
    3. I need the script to be able to identify from the email; which department the individual pertains. There are 4 departments, so there are 4 separate worksheets.
    4. Then create a new column in the departments excel sheet in the workbook with the name from the email.

Is this something that is easy to do?

Please let me know if you could help me with this.

Many thanks,

Ecalid

VBAX Mentor
    Why would you want to create a new column? This sounds like bad design.

Why are you using Excel as a database?

Creating a new column is fairly simple. Manipulating Outlook can be rather tricky.
    How to attach file: Reading and Posting Messages (vbaexpress.com), click Go Advanced below post edit window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

VBAX Regular

The new column will represent a new starter in the business; I have built a training matrix in which I manually add new starters when managers submit new starter requests through the portal I've made, but would like this to be automated somewhat.

Unfortunately our company is quite archaic as they do not believe in using catered software, and they are very adverse to me using Power Automate. They create their own in-house applications but what I need is not deemed as a priority for them, so I need to take this upon myself.

I only need it to read the subject of an incoming email and then read the information contained within; the email has a pre-set body so there isn't many variables at all for it to search.

In essence it needs to read one line which says "Department" and then choose the worksheet which corresponds to this.

And then, read the line which says "Employee" and then if it doesn't exist, create a new column and input the name into the preferred cell.

Please see below for the automated email and training matrix:

New Project.jpgNew Project2.jpg
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 09-13-2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Removed the unnecessary quotation

VBAX Regular

Using these instructions to all a rule to run a macro/script Outlook's Rules and Alerts: Run a Script (slipstick.com)
    You need to turn on the ability to run a script via a rule when an email is received because it was turned off, Run-a-Script Rules Missing in Outlook (slipstick.com)

Right click a current email you want this to run for and select Rules > Create Rule then
    https://imgur.com/9BR82mF
    https://imgur.com/uO0hGfR
    https://imgur.com/aDqObmT
    https://imgur.com/4F4eg2Z

Then click Okay

Result when all is good https://imgur.com/BDi5Gsa, else there are other messages to help with why it couldn't add the email to your spreadsheet

Place this code in the ThisOutlookSession module under Microsoft Outlook Objects https://imgur.com/iiXe1Pa

Add Microsoft Excel 16.0 Object Library in Tools > References. (your library may be numbered differently depending on what version of Excel you are running)

Depending on the format of the email you're receiving, you may need to change the character used to indicate the end of the line in these lines of code:

employeeName = Left(employeeName, InStr(employeeName, vbCr) - 1)

departmentName = Left(departmentName, InStr(departmentName, vbCr) - 1)
    I'm using the carriage return character.

Public Sub ParseTrainingEmail(trainingEmail As Outlook.MailItem)
        ' this is called by the rule created for a specific subject "Department employee email"

Dim excelFile As String
        Dim employeeIndicator As String
        Dim departmentIndicator As String

Dim employeeName As String
        Dim departmentName As String

Dim excelApp As Excel.Application
        Dim excelWB As Workbook
        Dim excelWS As Worksheet
        Dim excelLastEmployeeColRange As Range
        Dim excelNewEmployeeColRange As Range

Dim excelMessage As String
        Dim excelEmployeeStartingCol As Long
        Dim excelEmployeeCol As Long
        Dim excelEmployeeRow As Long

Dim departmentFound As Boolean
        Dim employeeFound As Boolean

' place your specific values here
        excelFile = "f:\temp\file1.xlsx"
        employeeIndicator = "Employee:"
        departmentIndicator = "Department:"

' find the information in the email
        On Error GoTo MissingEmployeeInfo
        employeeName = Right(trainingEmail.Body, Len(trainingEmail.Body) - (InStr(trainingEmail.Body, employeeIndicator) + Len(employeeIndicator)))
        employeeName = Left(employeeName, InStr(employeeName, vbCr) - 1)

If InStr(trainingEmail.Body, employeeIndicator) = 0 Then GoTo MissingEmployeeInfo

On Error GoTo MissingDepartmentInfo
        departmentName = Right(trainingEmail.Body, Len(trainingEmail.Body) - (InStr(trainingEmail.Body, departmentIndicator) + Len(departmentIndicator)))
        departmentName = Left(departmentName, InStr(departmentName, vbCr) - 1)

If InStr(trainingEmail.Body, departmentIndicator) = 0 Then GoTo MissingDepartmentInfo

On Error GoTo ExcelProcessingError
        excelMessage = ""
        excelEmployeeStartingCol = 2   ' where should this macro start looking for the employee name
        excelEmployeeRow = 1  ' in which row do the employee names appear

Set excelApp = New Excel.Application
        Set excelWB = excelApp.Workbooks.Open(excelFile)

' search for the department worksheet in the workbook, comparing each sheet in caps to the extracted department name
        departmentFound = False
        For Each excelWS In excelWB.Worksheets
            departmentFound = (UCase(excelWS.Name) = UCase(departmentName))
            If departmentFound Then Exit For
        Next

If Not departmentFound Then
            ' a matching department sheet name was not found
            excelMessage = "A training email was received on " & trainingEmail.ReceivedTime & ", however, the department name: " & departmentName & " which was not found in the Excel file."
            GoTo ExcelProcessingError
        End If

' search for the employee in the worksheet, comparing each employee name in caps to the extracted employee name
        employeeFound = False
        excelEmployeeCol = excelEmployeeStartingCol
        Do While Len(excelWS.Cells(1, excelEmployeeCol).Value) > 0
            employeeFound = (UCase(excelWS.Cells(excelEmployeeRow, excelEmployeeCol).Value) = UCase(employeeName))
            If employeeFound Then Exit Do
            excelEmployeeCol = excelEmployeeCol + 1
        Loop

' if the employee wasn't found then create a new column for the employee
        If Not employeeFound Then
            ' copy the formatting of the last column that contained an employee
            Set excelLastEmployeeColRange = excelWS.Cells(excelEmployeeRow, excelEmployeeCol - 1)
            Set excelNewEmployeeColRange = excelWS.Cells(excelEmployeeRow, excelEmployeeCol)

excelLastEmployeeColRange.Copy
            excelNewEmployeeColRange.PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats

' match the width as well
            excelWS.Cells(excelEmployeeRow, excelEmployeeCol).ColumnWidth = excelWS.Cells(excelEmployeeRow, excelEmployeeCol - 1).ColumnWidth
            excelWS.Cells(excelEmployeeRow, excelEmployeeCol).Value = employeeName

End If

excelWB.Close True
        excelApp.Quit

MsgBox "A training email was receivied on " & trainingEmail.ReceivedTime & " and processed successfully for employee: " & employeeName & " in department: " & departmentName

Exit Sub

MissingEmployeeInfo:

MsgBox "A training email was receivied on " & trainingEmail.ReceivedTime & ", however, an employee name was not found in the email."
    Exit Sub

MissingDepartmentInfo:
        MsgBox "A training email was receivied on " & trainingEmail.ReceivedTime & ", however, a department name was not found in the email."

Exit Sub

ExcelProcessingError:
        If excelMessage = "" Then
            excelMessage = "Excel returned an error while processing the training email. '" & Error(Err) & "'"
        End If

On Error Resume Next ' try to close Excel but skip it if it can't
        excelWB.Close False
        excelApp.Quit

MsgBox excelMessage
    End Sub
    I hope this at least gets you closer to where you want to be.
    Last edited by jdelano; 09-12-2023 at 05:46 AM. Reason: missed checking for indicators

VBAX Mentor
    One step at a time. First figure out how to extract data from email. Common topic.

Then figure out how to create Excel column and save data to cell. This part could be as simple as:

With Worksheets("Sheet1")
    .Cells(1, .Cells(1, 1).End(xlToRight).column).Value = strData
    End With
    A really tricky part is figuring out how to trigger code execution.

Now I see jdelano's post. Hope that helps.
    How to attach file: Reading and Posting Messages (vbaexpress.com), click Go Advanced below post edit window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

VBAX Regular
    Thank you so much for this and your kind effort.

Unfortunately I can't get the script to run from the rule.

It brings up the New Mail Alert, but does nothing for the spreadsheet. There are no errors or message boxes as expected.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 09-13-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Removed the unnecessary quotation

VBAX Regular
    Can you show a screenshot of the rule configuration and the Visual Basic in Outlook?