Consulting

Thread: VBA code to name a document

Unhappy VBA code to name a document

Hello,

I have a macro for saving a word document to a specific folder and it works great. The only problem is that i dont know how to name the document correctly. the code is below.

Sub SaveAFile()
    Dim path As String
    path = "C:\Users\User\Test.docx"
    With ActiveDocument
    .SaveAs FileName:=path
    .Close
    End With
    End Sub
    with this code the document is named Test.docx when its saved to the new folder. I want the document to keep its current name. Can anyone help please.

VBAX Mentor

I don't see code that creates a new folder. I only see a hard-coded path string.

Try retrieving document name with ActiveDocument.Name
    How to attach file: Reading and Posting Messages (vbaexpress.com), click Go Advanced below post edit window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks, so I replaced =path with ActiveDocument.Name but now the document doesn’t go to the location I want. I’m not sure where it went.

VBAX Mentor

path = "some folder path\" & ActiveDocument.Name

Where do you want folder path to come from - user input?
    How to attach file: Reading and Posting Messages (vbaexpress.com), click Go Advanced below post edit window. To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

So the word document will be open and it will be in my documents folder.The document will have a different name every time. The macro will then save it in "C:\Users\User\Test.docx". at the moment the macro is saving it to "C:\Users\User\Test.docx" but it is naming the document Test.

I don’t want the code to create a new folder. I want the word document to go to an existing folder which in this example is "C:\Users\User\Test.docx"

At the moment the macro is sending the document to the correct folder "C:\Users\User\Test.docx" but it is renaming the document test. I want the document to keep its original name

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    Dim path As String
    path = "C:\Users\User" & ActiveDocument.Name
    With ActiveDocument
    .SaveAs FileName:=path
    .Close
    End With
    End Sub
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

VBAX Mentor
    Don't forget \ before file name. If you don't post code between CODE tags, forum drops that \ character unless you go to Advanced edit and unclick "Automatically parse links in text".

You have a folder named "User"?

That’s worked pretty well thank you