Consulting

Thread: Filter formula include argument

VBAX Contributor
    Filter formula include argument

Greetings..

I am struggling with applying the Filter formula in an Excel table. I had it working in another instance, but it doesn't seem to be consistent.

Here is my formula...
    =FILTER(BkgTbl[[#All],[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]],({1,0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1})*(BkgRegT="Yes"),"")
    BkgRegT is a named column range within BkgTbl. Removing the 2nd condition returns all the columns required properly. Adding the second condition returns a "#VALUE" error, and hovering over that says there is a data type problem. The table data in that column is either blank or "Yes".

What have I done wrong?

Thanks
    Gary

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    I'm not at all clear on how many tables there are; is the 'applying the Filter formula in an Excel table' the same table as BkgTbl?
    Putting the Filter function within any table will probably have Excel complaining.
    Are you trying this:
    =FILTER(FILTER(BkgTbl[[#All],[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]],({1,0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1})),BkgTbl[[#All],[BkgRegT]]="Yes","")
    if so, you'll get the same result with the shorter:
    =FILTER(FILTER(BkgTbl[[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]],({1,0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1})),BkgTbl[BkgRegT]="Yes","")
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Contributor
    [Group] is the header of col B and [Rtn Depart Time] is col AC.
    BkgRegT was the name of a named range within the same table.

Yes, I had tried to separate the filters into two runs, but had the same errors. I don't know why, but I fiddled a bit with it again and found this to work...

=FILTER(FILTER(BkgTbl[[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]],({1,0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1})),BkgRegT="Yes","")
    Not sure on why... but it works. Yours didn't work, probably because the BkgRegT is a named column in the table and not a column header value. Yet, the second one is almost identical to the one that worked... just took out the Table name and turned the field into a named column.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garyj
    Not sure on why...
    BkgRegT and BkgTbl[[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]] have the same number of rows.
    BkgRegT and BkgTbl[[#All],[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]] do not have the same number of rows.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    BkgRegT and BkgTbl[[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]] have the same number of rows.
    BkgRegT and BkgTbl[[#All],[Group]:[Rtn Depart Time]] do not have the same number of rows.

Thanks... sometimes my mindblock is larger than my mindsolve.
    Gary