Consulting

Thread: How to auto-populate fields based on the checkbox status in Microsoft Word

VBAX Newbie
    How to auto-populate fields based on the checkbox status in Microsoft Word

Hello,
    I am trying to auto-populate certain fields in the form based on what was entered in another section IF a checkbox is checked. So for example, if the "Same as Bill To" checkbox is checked, I want the name from the Billing Section to auto-populate in the Shipping section. But if it's left unchecked, I want the name in the Shipping section to be blank. Is there a way to do that in Word? If so, how would I go about doing that? Also, is there a way to make drop-down a mandatory field?
    Best Regards,
    Prasasti

VBAX Newbie

Yes, I'm using Content Controls in windows. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with VBA at all. If billing information is entered (red box area), AND "Same as Bill To" checkbox is checked, I want that billing information to auto-populate in the shipping information section (blue box area). If the checkbox is left unchecked, I want the shipping information section to be blank. Also, I was wanting the Shipping Drop-down (green area) to be required.
    client order form.jpg

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    The simplest solution would be an on exit event of the checkbox content control. E.g.,:
    If Checked then
    ... set the value of the blue box CCs to the same as values as the red box CCs
    Else
    ... do nothing
    End If

Simple would require the user to "exit" the checkbox. Are you certain your users will allow VBA code to run?
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

VBAX Newbie
    Is there a way to do an "on exit event" with Content Control Check Box, or does it need to be Legacy?
    what would the code be for that? Also, can this be done without VBA or is that the only option? I'm not 100% certain the users will allow VBA code to run.

VBAX Contributor
    vba is the only option, in my opinion. Greg has told you how to do it with a Content Control, not a legacy formfield.

You could do it with bookmarks and REF Fields inside IF Fields which would require that your user update fields.
    Last edited by Chas Kenyon; 12-21-2023 at 08:38 PM.