Consulting

Thread: Excel 365 Crashing on a 64 bit system

VBAX Contributor
    Excel 365 Crashing on a 64 bit system

Hello.. I appreciate any help on this.

My Excel workbook keeps crashing, and I have removed all the Active X controls. The code is working - and the VBA / Debug / Compile VBAProject shows no more issues. But still, it crashes... and almost always while opening. Any crashes during operation seem to have been due to an endless loop I caught after it was set off.

The error report offered does not help... it says this...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>error236160_01.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected in file 'https://d.docs.live.net/4fb14f8dba7dfda8/Documents/Gary/MyDispatchCode/MyDispatch.xlsm'</summary><removedFeatures><removedFeature>Removed Feature: Object from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedFeature></removedFeatures></recoveryLog>
    This time I went into a recovered file, that had been repaired after the unknown "removed feature" and pasted a copy just in case. Then I changed the copy into a zip file, opened the zip, and wen to the /xl/workbook.xml portion. Then I opened the original file the same way, and compared the xml. The differences outlined by GoTranscript.com. The program showed a lot of text with only a few differences. It gave back one file, with all the same text as one text, and the old removed text (shown in red and crossed out), and then the new text (shown after in green), much the same as one can edit data in Word and show the changes before they are accepted. The only differences are shown in the jpg file. See the red compared to the green.

text compare.jpg

But now the question. What was wrong with the red? Why was it removed? I am fairly certain that the item in red both stopped me from opening the program, and caused it to crash. Advice on what to fix?

Thanks,

Gary

try Online/offline Excel Repair tools, but first make a backup.
    sometimes excel get corrupted too.

do you use API on your code? if you do you need to convert them to x64 definition.

VBAX Sage

can you copy / paste the text here?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    picture is hard to read

can you copy / paste the text here?

Sure thing.. sorry about that.
    I don't know what to do to save the cross out... Tried within code tags and without.
    Ok.. try this... my own codes ... I put the lines with a D| in front for deleted text and with a R| in front for replaced text. The rest is as is.

<xr:revisionPtr

D| revIDLastSave="1" documentId="14_{B4CC6C00-ED5B-449D-A8EA-75D4AE860C64}"
    R| revIDLastSave="6" documentId="10_ncr:20000_{2180DD23-D3A6-4DA4-B908-EA0CE1EFC840}"

xr6:coauthVersionLast="47" xr6:coauthVersionMax="47"

D| xr10:uidLastSave="{F41A0740-A8CE-4B91-A9C3-F2725BE611A7}"/><bookViews><workbookView
    R| xr10:uidLastSave="{6E7B1A13-8EC8-4751-A287-3D6A7A6D6B8E}"/><bookViews><workbookView

showHorizontalScroll="0" showVerticalScroll="0" xWindow="-108" yWindow="-108" windowWidth="23256" windowHeight="13176" xr2:uid="{8A582DE3-BA7A-4577-8277-5D97D1F171F2}"/></bookViews>

VBAX Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
    try Online/offline Excel Repair tools, but first make a backup.
    sometimes excel get corrupted too.

do you use API on your code? if you do you need to convert them to x64 definition.
    Appreciate the advice.
    Hmm, I was looking at using Google Maps API and Samsara API, but chose not to do so in the end. Removed all that code.
    But there are a few places where I used [Declare PtrSafe Function]... because it required use for 64 bit. Not sure if that is the same, but it is all working.
    I don't know if the user's computers will be 32 or 64, so I may have more learning in this area yet.

Gary

VBAX Contributor
    The other thing that concerns me, whether related or not I don't know, is the note that keeps coming up as follows:
    "CAN'T SAVE "There was a problem saving and autoSave was disabled. Please Save As or close and reopen the file."

Aside: It used to do that every time I had any Active X material in the program, or a text box from Word. I removed it all replacing things with form buttons etc. (Though I do open the text box temporarily to bring text in for a print and then immediately remove that text box.) I have found that when the text box is temporarily there and it tries to save, it stops, and when I remove the text box, the save starts working again.

Because of that, seeing that note makes me a bit nervous, but it could be a problem with One Drive as well. I am on a 1000 Fibre plus internet, so it really can't get much faster, but sometimes a connection problem can stop a save. I am just putting guesses in here now.

One drive, google drive, is a No no.

VBAX Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
    One drive, google drive, is a No no.
    Are you saying, "One drive AND Google drive are no nos." That is what I am hearing.
    What about the local server through an online system?

The dispatch takes a computer home and wants the information available (if called at home for emergencies). I was working with One Drive to provide real time accuracy in information.

Can you show the Declare statements? Perhaps they are wrong? See https://jkp-ads.com/articles/apideclarations.asp The page has a download containing the official list from Microsoft.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

you can use Google sheet?