Consulting

Thread: Is there a limit to how many terms you can stick in a Case Selection?

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    Is there a limit to how many terms you can stick in a Case Selection?

I recently came across a post where the creator of the code used this:
    Sub deleteIrrelevantColumns()
    Dim currentColumn As Integer
    Dim columnHeading As String
    ' ActiveSheet.Columns("G").Delete
    ' List = Sheets("to keep").Range("D1:D30")
    currentColumn = 5
    For currentColumn = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count To 29 Step -1  ' start from last col to 29 onwards only
    columnHeading = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells(1, currentColumn).Value
        'CHECK WHETHER TO KEEP THE COLUMN
        Select Case columnHeading
            ' Insert list reference here instead of specifying in code
            ' headerstodelete
            Case "Acq_WK_1", "Acq_WK_20", "Acq_WK_34", "Area_Hemel_Hempstead", "Area_Reading", "Area_South_West_London", "ctype_guest", "email", "fo_Category_KNITWEAR", _
            "fo_Category_OUTERWEAR", "fo_Category_WOVEN", "fo_Category_WOVEN_TROUSERS", "fo_device_mobile", "fo_discount_dummy", "fo_discountandfreedelivery_dummy", _
            "fo_discountrate", "fo_freedelivery_dummy", "fo_Mth_Aug", "fo_part_returner_dummy", "fo_total_discountorderstable", "fo_totalvalue", "fo_visit_cpc", "fo_visit_display", _
            "fo_visit_email", "Forecast", "mailedbook_andy", "multi_order_customer", "recency_dayssincelastorder", "visits", "gets_email_andyandnotsubscribed", "Acq_MTH_1", "Acq_MTH_10", _
            "Acq_MTH_11", "Acq_MTH_3", "Acq_MTH_4", "Acq_MTH_5", "Acq_MTH_6", "Acq_MTH_9", "Acq_WK_10", "Acq_WK_16", "Acq_WK_19", "Acq_WK_40", "acquisition_year", _
            "age_missing_dummy", "age_nullsreplavg", "Area_Aberdeen", "Area_Guildford", "Area_North_London", "Area_Redhill", "Area_South_West_London", "Area_West_London", _
            "cold_book_redeem", "ctype_customer", "ctype_guest", "ctype_prospect", "gender_missing_dummy", "gendermale_dummy", "gets_email_andy", "households_avg_repzero", _
            "location_london", "mailedbook_andy", "no_postcode_dummy", "population_avg_repzero", "propensityscore_andy", "unsubscribed_from_email", "visits"
                'Do nothing
            Case Else
                'Delete if the cell doesn't contain "Homer"
                If InStr(1, ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells(1, currentColumn).Value, "Homer", vbBinaryCompare) = 0 Then
                    ActiveSheet.Columns(currentColumn).Delete
                End If
        End Select
    Next
    End Sub
    Where the first Case is stuffed full of everything but the kitchen sink, only to do nothing if true. Whereas the real test is hidden in the second Case "if it didn't contain the value "Homer" then delete the column.

Clearly the logic here was if the value "Homer" didn't exist then delete the column, so why go to all the hassle of the first case listing all the exemptions. So ignoring the logic of this for a moment, is there a limit to how much you can stick inside a Case (definitions)?
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

you can also ask Copilot or ChatGPT.

I'm not asking Copilot or ChatGPT, as I am clearly asking the members here.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I am sure that there is, although I wouldn't want to write or see the code that gets to that point, but at the very least he will run into too many line continuations at some point.

Wouldn't be surprised if that code was written by ChatGPT. I saw this AI generated code recently

Set tbl = Activesheet.Listobjects(1)
        tbl.Delete
        tbl.ClearFormats
    When everyone says that AI will replace coders and the code will be better, just think of all of the crap code currently being written by AI with no human mitigation or code review. The AI zealots, say yes, but the next version will get better, and I am sure it will, but that version will be hoovering up all of the crap code that the previous version generated, and 'thinking' that it is good code.

I agree with everything in this article

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I agree Bob. The use of AI is extremely limited because all it is doing is searching for responses on the Net and then trying to apply them to something. All too often the indicated methods are incorrect.

Did some research out of curiosity and learned that SELECT CASE statement is meant to replace IF/ELSE IF. Likewise, you can have as many SELECT CASE statements as you desire but of course that wouldn't be good
    coding practice. ALSO ... each module is limited to 64k so when you exceed that level the SELECT CASE statements will crash.

As a side note: Select Case is often slightly slower than an If...ElseIf...EndIf construct.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiebear View Post
    So ignoring the logic of this for a moment, is there a limit to how much you can stick inside a Case (definitions)?

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/show...of-Case-select

I wouldn't write it that way

3. IIRC (and going back many^2 years) Case Select was a 'Switch' and an integer (maybe byte) was computed to jump directly to the appropriate Case. FORTRAN called something like this a Computed GoTO

Case Select is oft times advertised as an alternate to a bunch of If / Then / Elseif / ..... but I'd think that each If / Elseif has to be evaluated there's a lot more CPU cycles involved with all that testing

So instead of testing 100 Elseif's, Case Select just says 'Go to the 100th Case'

Not sure about any of this
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    3. IIRC (and going back many^2 years) Case Select was a 'Switch' and an integer (maybe byte) was computed to jump directly to the appropriate Case. FORTRAN called something like this a Computed GoTO
    Not the same, but this comment reminded me of a previous life, when we bought an electoral register system written in Cobol from another local authority, and had to adapt it to our particular situation.

The problem was that this system had been written by a bunch of guys fresh off their training course, and they used one particularly horrible construct called alterable Gotos, i.e there would be a Goto statement in the code, and somewhere else in the code that Goto would be modified to go somewhere else.

I cannot recall the code exactly so this is more pseudo-code, but hopefully showing what I mean.

Label1:
        Goto Label2
    Label2:
        do some stuff
    Label3:
        do some more stuff
    Label4:
        Alter Label1 To Proceed To Label98
        Goto Label1
    Can you imagine trying to follow code like this, the system was absolutely smothered in this sh#t. My poor old programmer did a great job modifying it and getting rid of them all, but I didn't envy him one bit.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

VBAX Sage
    I vaguely, kindof, sortof recall seeing something like this

Must have drive the next maintenace programmer to drink

DegFreedom = 3

GoTo 3*DegFreedom

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    00009:

If Z = 1 Then
        Goto DegFreedom - 1
        DegFreedom =  4
    Else
        Goto DegFreedom + 2
        DegFreedom = 6
    End If

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0002:

End

00005:

End
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3