Consulting

Thread: I see there's a new function in Excel

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    I see there's a new function in Excel

Excel 365 beta channel has given us a look at three new functions "Regextest, Regexreplace, & Regexextract". As I understand it they are as follows:

1. Regextest. Enables the User to test the validity of a String based on the pattern.

Example. You require a User to enter a correct phrase in cell D14. In another cell say E14 you could write
    =RegexTest(D14, "Hello World", "world")
    Would result in "True" whereas "Whirled" would result in "False" because the pattern is incorrect.

2. Regexextract. Enables the User to extract a substring from within a string.

Example. You need to extract the email address from a larger string. In the string in cell C4 "You may contact us at User@vbaexpress.com for further information". You could use
    =RegexExtract(C4,"[\w.-] +@[\w.-]+\.\w+$")
    Which should result in User@vbaexpress.com

3. RegexReplace. Enables the User to replace data with a mask (in an effort to say hide confidential data)

Example. Just say you had a part number that you wish to have it remain confidential for what ever reason. This part number consisted of a 9 digit string resides in cell A5. You could construct your function like this
    =Regexreplace(A5,"\d{3}-\d{3}", "xxx-xxx")
    This results in the first 6 digits being replaced by x.

Are there other usages that anyone could think of?
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 05-24-2024 at 03:16 AM. Reason: the original construct didn't sound okay.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link