Consulting

Thread: User defined function

VBAX Regular
    Question User defined function

In sheet "Stock" I have a little DBase that has names e.g. Regions, Countries, Accounts and Amounts by months (Jan to Dec) and by quarter (Q1 to Q4). On the "Report" sheet I have a drop-down list with periods (e.g. Jan, Feb,...Q1,...Q4) and countries/accounts. I need to create a function that would calculate an Array formula Depending on selected period. This function should take Period, County and Account as its arguments.

I was trying to make an If... formula but it gets very long. I thought function should make the job better. Can you help with the code for this function?

I attach a little file to my post for you to be able to see how the the report and DBase are structured.

Thank you in advance.

VBAX Expert

You do not need a UDF--you need to redo Stock so that it really is a database, and not a crosstab.

Please see the attached workbook. I recast the Stock worksheet (Revised Stock), and then used a PivotTable to generate the report output.
    Regards,

Patrick

I wept for myself because I had no PivotTable.

Then I met a man who had no AutoFilter.

Microsoft MVP for Excel, 2007 & 2008

VBAX Regular
    Patrick, the thing is that I will have much more Regions/Countries/Accounts. It will be a very long list. Probably longer than 65k rows. That's why I made this DBase structure. Thought that the function can be a solution. Do you think it's possible to make one?

VBAX Expert
    Kaizer, if you are going to have that much data, then ultimately your best bet is to punt Excel altogether and go to a real database platform.
    Regards,

Patrick

I wept for myself because I had no PivotTable.

Then I met a man who had no AutoFilter.

Microsoft MVP for Excel, 2007 & 2008