Consulting

Thread: Subtotals & More!!

Subtotals & More!!

I have a collegue with an huge list of data, some 8000 lines long, that he sorts using the Subtotal function. Perfect, works a treat. Once he has performed this he then has to manually move each individual range of subtotalled data to a new worksheet which is both time consuming and a pain in the @ss !!

I will post a copy of the workbook as soon as I have it in my possession but if anyone can suggest a way of automating the transfer of the data to the new worksheets I would be eternally grateful.

Please feel free to ask If there is anything that doesn't make sense

collapse the subtotals using the outline controls on the left so that only the totals rows are shown:

To copy just these rows and omit the rows that are hidden, we must select only the visisble rows. Excel provides us with that function under Edit>Goto (F5). The Goto dialog has a Special button on the bottom left: It is marked Special

That button brings up the Go To Special dialog box. On that dialog, choose Visible cells only. Then just copy and paste normally.

Not a vba solution but it is a start I hope
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the input. I don't seem to have made myself clear, sorry!!
    I would actually like to copy some of the data from the subtotals and paste this into a new sheet. I've attached the workbook. You will see three sheets. Main List is the subtotalled one and the other two are what I would like to create using some VBA attached to a command button.

It will make more sense when you take a look at it, hopefully!

Moderator VBAX Master geekgirlau's Avatar
    This is crying out for a pivot table IMHO ...

Hi Geekgirl & thanks!!

An elloquent solution indeed and so simple too!! Unfortunately my collegue would probably pass out at the sight of a pivot table. He has only just come to accept that command buttons are not the work of the devil, I kid you not!!

Soooo, returning to the earlier request, if anyone can knock up some VBA that I can attach to a command button to acheive the creation of new sheets as in the version1 workbook then I would be eternally greatful.

Damn network connection had me double post!!

Incidentally I tried the pivot option on the actual working version of the workbook with 8000+ lines and it falls over whenever I try to do anything with the table. I'm getting 'Reduce number of column or row fields..' *** Which I've now resolved!!

Unfortunately having run this option by my collegue he's not over confident with the use of pivot tables. If anybody can come up with a VBA answer then God bless you!!!
    Last edited by BexleyManor; 03-17-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Try the following. I've amended the data slightly just to provide a third test page.
    Regards
    MD

BTW Check that document properties does not contain info you don't want published.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

MD, absolutely stunning work my friend. Hat's off to you.

Does exactly what it say's on the tin!!

I shall run this by my collegue tomorrow and I'm pretty sure he'll have a big fat smile on his face!!

I'll drop by and let you know.

Thanks again mate, superb work.

Oh, one more thing. Is that a Rhodesian Ridgeback wearing the cap on your pic ??