Consulting

Thread: Initializing Find

VBAX Expert
    Initializing Find

I am running Word2000 and Excel2000. Sub A can be called many times from Word. Each time it is called, it figures out what workbook (of several) to open and which sheet for that workbook to explore. The logic that selects the workbook and selects the worksheet works fine. The code to create an Excel object, open the workbook, etc., close the workbook, quit the object, etc., all works fine the first time a given workbook/worksheet are opened and explored. In particular, I determine the last useful row in the target sheet using the standard Find method:
    [vba]xlLastRow = xlsheet.Cells.Find("*", xlsheet.Cells(1), _
    xlFormulas, xlWhole, xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row[/vba] the value in xlLastRow the first time Sub A is called is correct. But on subsequent calls an error occurs: err = 91; Object variable or With block variable not set. This normally occurs with the above method when the worksheet is blank (not true in this case). I believe the problem is the all-too-common problem with getting the Find method to "initialize".

Any help would be appreciated.
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Hi Mark, try UserForm_Activate instead of UserForm_Initialize and see how it goes
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

VBAX Expert
    Hi Mark, try UserForm_Activate instead of UserForm_Initialize and see how it goes
    thanks for the prompt reply. I must not have been clear re the problem; but I am not using UserForms here.

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Are you saying that you check the SAME excel sheet twice and get the error? Or just simply calling macro A a second time?

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Administrator

You've lost me here, I don't understand what you mean by this...

Quote Originally Posted by MWE
    ... I believe the problem is the all-too-common problem with getting the Find method to "initialize". ...
    The following similar example is error-free and works fine every time and for all cases I can think of [vba]Option Explicit
    Sub Find_LastRowxlFormulas()
    On Error GoTo Finish
    'give the last row
    MsgBox "Last row is row " & Cells.Find("*", _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
    SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).EntireRow.Row
    Exit Sub
    Finish:
    MsgBox "No formulas or values found"
    End Sub[/vba]Regards,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill! VBAX Master

That error is probably pertaining to the xlsheet variable, is that being passed to your sub? If so, could it be being set to Nothing at some point in the calling procedure?
    You may need to post more of your code for us to help further, but that error will mean one of two things:
    1) xlSheet isn't a valid sheet reference the second time around
    2) No cell was found, so it can't find a .Row for it

Matt

Also, at least we don't have any wind today, but it still isn't much like spring out there. At least it is getting slightly warmer! Too bad we didn't really have a winter though

VBAX Expert
    MWE,

That error is probably pertaining to the xlsheet variable, is that being passed to your sub? If so, could it be being set to Nothing at some point in the calling procedure?
    You may need to post more of your code for us to help further, but that error will mean one of two things:
    1) xlSheet isn't a valid sheet reference the second time around
    2) No cell was found, so it can't find a .Row for it

Matt

Also, at least we don't have any wind today, but it still isn't much like spring out there. At least it is getting slightly warmer! Too bad we didn't really have a winter though
    Thanks for the reply.
    xlsheet is defined two lines above the find statement line. The next line prints out xlsheet.name and it prints out the correct sheet name. The relevant code:[vba] Set xlAppl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    Set xlBook = xlAppl.Workbooks.Open(BookFileName)
    MsgBox xlBook.Name
    For J = 1 To xlBook.Worksheets.Count
    Set xlsheet = xlBook.Worksheets(J)
    MsgBox xlsheet.Name
    xlLastRow = xlsheet.Cells.Find("*", xlsheet.Cells(1), _
    xlFormulas, xlWhole, xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    If Err <> 0 Then
    MsgBox "error code finding last row" & vbCrLf & _
    "Error Number:" & vbTab & Err.Number & vbCrLf & _
    "Error Desc:" & vbTab & Err.Description
    GoTo CleanUp
    End If[/vba] at the end of the proc everything is cleaned up, xlbook is quit, etc.

I should clarify that Sub A is called is called multiple times in a loop. The code runs fine the first time Sub A is called, but the second and subsequent times, there is an error in the Find statement.

The # of sheets in the target workbook is 3 in this particular case. The first time the sub is called, the xlLastRow value is correct for each sheet. For subsequent calls, the error occurs for each sheet.

UPDATE: I added a MsgBox display to print out the first few values in xlsheet. They print out correctly. The revised code:
    [vba] Set xlAppl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    MsgBox xlBook.Name
    For J = 1 To xlBook.Worksheets.Count
    Set xlsheet = xlBook.Worksheets(J)
    MsgBox xlsheet.Name
    MsgBox xlsheet.Cells(1, 1) & vbCrLf & _
    xlsheet.Cells(2, 1) & vbCrLf & _
    xlsheet.Cells(3, 1)
    If Err <> 0 Then
    GoTo CleanUp
    End If[/vba]
    Last edited by MWE; 03-23-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Administrator
    Maybe it depends where you call the Sub A for every time after the first. Do you think that, maybe, Sub A is called too soon in the procedure? Not having a sheet to look into in the first place (which would be agreeing with mvidas's #1)? I'm probably totally off here, but....it's late and I'm tired and it's the only thing I could think of.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

VBAX Expert
    Maybe it depends where you call the Sub A for every time after the first. Do you think that, maybe, Sub A is called too soon in the procedure? Not having a sheet to look into in the first place (which would be agreeing with mvidas's #1)? I'm probably totally off here, but....it's late and I'm tired and it's the only thing I could think of.
    Sub A is called in eactly the same place each time. The workbook is valid, the worksheet is valid, the worksheet has real data in it. That is demonstrated by displaying the first few sheet values before the Find statement.
    Last edited by MWE; 03-24-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Administrator
    I can't reproduce the error you get I keep getting "Subscript out of range" for xlLastRow...

Here's my code, where the book I call has 3 sheets, each having the same data in them, and I call the book 3 times and get the same error from the 1st call to the last:

[vba]'Option Explicit

Sub A(BookFileName)
    On Error Resume Next
    Set xlAppl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    MsgBox xlBook.Name
    For j = 1 To xlBook.Worksheets.Count
    Set xlsheet = xlBook.Worksheets(j)
    MsgBox xlsheet.Name
    MsgBox xlsheet.Cells(1, 1) & vbCrLf & _
    xlsheet.Cells(2, 1) & vbCrLf & _
    xlsheet.Cells(3, 1)
    If Err <> 0 Then
    GoTo Cleanup
    End If
    Next j

Exit Sub
    Cleanup:
    End Sub

Sub Test()
    Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To 3
    Call A("C:/TestBook1.xls")
    Next i

End Sub[/vba] And when I don't use the "On Error Resume Next" I find that the xlLastRow = Empty as well as xlWhole, xlByRows, and xlPrevious.....

Perhaps I'm missing some of your code....

EDIT: I'm using Excel 2003, if that makes a difference.

VBAX Contributor

I guess what you getting is when find method find nothing.

Try to confirm there is a value somewhere by
    x=application.counta(xlsheet.cells)
    msgbox x

if x<>0 then something is really wrong, else you might cleared the sheet...

Administrator