Consulting

Thread: Solved: Prevent background color from printing

VBAX Newbie
    Solved: Prevent background color from printing

Is there some code I can stick in (VBA) that would prevent (turn off) any of the background colors from printing when a user clicks a print button (macro)? I want to use a dark color for screen, but having a black page print out is not too helpful. I guess I could change the screen update, background color to none, print out, then reset the back ground, but where there might be varied light background colors (that already are near clear or light grey at worst in print) it will become a pain...

VBAX Guru
    Why not have a Printing Sheet, all you need then is a very simple macro to copy the Screen Sheet and paste Special Values to the Printing sheet, print it and clear it. This can all be done by recording macro as you do it.

VBAX Regular
    This line in your VBA will make it print out just B&W:
    [VBA] ActiveSheet.PageSetup.BlackAndWhite = True[/VBA]

There are a lot of other printing controls that you can add, including headers, footers, etc etc - the easiest way is to start a macro recording & go thru the File menu to Page Setup, & work that till it's the way you like it. You'll end up with a full set of options in a 'With... End With' group.

VBAX Newbie

I really thought that the only thing would happen with the BlackAndWhite property would be the darker color backgrounds would come in as one heck of a lot of black toner! Should I switch it back to False at the end of the routine or is it one of those that only effect the current operation?

VBAX Regular

I think you will find that that is actually sheet-specific - i.e. if that is set to print B&W, the other sheets will still print in glorious colour, unless you tell them differently.

As far as thinking it would behave differently, I can only say Experiment. You can't really break anything (especially if you're in an experimental copy of your spreadsheet), and it's frequently a faster way to get your answer than hunting on the 'net.

Should I switch it back to False at the end of the routine...?
    Yes.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Moderator VBAX Master geekgirlau's Avatar

I've marked this thread as Solved for you - normally you can use the "Thread Tools" option at the top of the screen, but it's not working at present.