Consulting

Thread: Open Office

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    VBAX Master
    Open Office

Hi guys,

today I went to the 7?. Internation Forum for Free Software and heard some news on Open Office. According to Mr. Miguel de Icaza, Open Office will support Microsoft VBA macros. I asked him after the presentation: What about copyright for the use of VBA? He simply kept on walking and didnt answer me. What could that mean? I think he dont care as its gonna be a users problem...
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

... I asked him after the presentation: What about copyright for the use of VBA? He simply kept on walking and didnt answer me.

Too funny.
    Interesting though, Carlos. Now I'm going to have to install OpenOffice and play around with that - like I haven't got enogh to do already!
    K :-)

I'm curious what they mean about "support" to be honest. I downloaded OO2.0, and it will import them, but it REM's out each line of code. Un-reming (is that a word) leaves you with a useless macro. I even tried a simple macro and couldn't get it to work:

[vba]Dim cl as Range
    For Each cl In Selection
    cl.Value = "Hi"
    Next cl[/vba]

I think it would be great to see, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

With all the respect to Open Office I'm convinced that web based tools is the future and please see AjaxXls at the following URL: http://www.ajaxxls.com/

AjaxXls should be viewed as an indicator how to work online in the future. I believe it will take some additional years before web based tools will replace the desktop tools.

Kind regards,
    Dennis
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    I thought you could buy a VBA licence for around $700 USD.

I agree with Dennis though, web-based is probably going to be the wave of the future, as soon as everything else catches up with it.

Hello all,

Thanks XL-Dennis for the AjaxXls link (and thanks to vbaexpress as well )

Interesting stuff.

It looks like Open Office is also available "on the go."

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/...ble_openoffice

Hmmm.

Portable Open Office...

Now that would make an interesting acronym

Chow for now
    < Thanks OBP, for being the first person to help me out on this forum! >

Open Office VBA compatibility is still a WIP (work in progress). They aren't 100% compatitible yet.

I really enjoy the new AJAX features. Some of them have been implemented in XBox homebrew applications and controlling a media center PC from the XBox.

If Google jumps on the AJAX bandwagon... GMail will be your storage for your files, many applications. They have Quake 3 built on Shockwave now... Why do you need anything newer than Windows 98 and a browser?

BoardCoder
    Licensed Coder VBAX Expert mark007's Avatar
    Yep - I see the future being totally net based. No-one will have more than a screen that runs a web browser and a little pen drive that stores 2 million GB plugged into it LOL All software will run online so licensing and updates will be a doddle. You'll also be able to use your registered software on anyone's PC!

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso
    Mark Rowlinson FIA | The Code Net

VBAX Regular
    Yep - I see the future being totally net based. No-one will have more than a screen that runs a web browser and a little pen drive that stores 2 million GB plugged into it LOL All software will run online so licensing and updates will be a doddle. You'll also be able to use your registered software on anyone's PC!

that'd be nice, but when machines have several cores/processors, your registered software will need to adjust its licence file per core. thats not always easy, and the charges for putting your key into a 200 core machine (think grid computing) might just be a little over what you were expecting.

I don't see it happening too soon.

VBAX Newbie

VBAX Wizard

2. VBA copyright?

Really? Are you serious?

As for Open Office and existing VBA procedures....FORGET IT! I am running OO 3.2 and sorry it simply is not credible to even remotely imply that its scripting is compatible with VBA. The syntax is different; the object model is different.

Does OO have good scripting? Yes. Can you "convert" existing VBA procedures? Ummmm, sort of, not really, kind of....no.

As for web-based applications. I hope not. I soon will be completely off the grid, not using the Internet at all. I have been Internet free for two years now at home. Soon I will be retiring, and will have no Internet access at all. I certainly hopw that applications do not move totally to the web. That would mean I will be at a complete loss.

Hmmmm. that may not be so bad after all.

Moderator VBAX Guru Simon Lloyd's Avatar
    1. VBA license???

2. VBA copyright?

Really? Are you serious?

As for Open Office and existing VBA procedures....FORGET IT! I am running OO 3.2 and sorry it simply is not credible to even remotely imply that its scripting is compatible with VBA. The syntax is different; the object model is different.

Does OO have good scripting? Yes. Can you "convert" existing VBA procedures? Ummmm, sort of, not really, kind of....no.

As for web-based applications. I hope not. I soon will be completely off the grid, not using the Internet at all. I have been Internet free for two years now at home. Soon I will be retiring, and will have no Internet access at all. I certainly hopw that applications do not move totally to the web. That would mean I will be at a complete loss.

Hmmmm. that may not be so bad after all.
    This is a very old topic Gerry and i don't know why Honey has posted in it. Anyway more to the point you not accessing the internet and helping out in these forums will be a great loss...........hope you reconsider getting internet access at home, failing that what address should i forward printed copies of the posts to?
    Regards,
    Simon
    Please read this before cross posting!
    In the unlikely event you didn't get your answer here try Microsoft Office Discussion @ The Code Cage
    If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675 English mathematician & physicist (1642 - 1727)