Consulting

Thread: Characteristics of an Invisible Sheet

Characteristics of an Invisible Sheet

I just started playing with making a worksheet invisible, then making it reappear again. I'm having trouble finding a discussion of this property. It appears (so to speak) that a hidden sheet cannot be tampered with. For example, I discovered that after hiding a sheet, I was unable to ".Select" it. I presume that I also cannot write on it. So I guess that once a sheet is made "invisible", then it is out of the game until it is made visible again. Is that correct?

I run a series of macros each of which works on a workbook that has been opened. When near the end of execution, each macro in turn will open the next workbook, "Run" a macro in that workbook for initialization, then close the workbook to which it belongs.

This transition period involving the initialization causes a lot of flashing and brief sheet viewing as it changes from one workbook to another and does a few things to various sheets in the next workbook. I thought that maybe I could make the worksheets being initialized invisible and thereby reduce or eliminate the flashing and brief viewing of those sheets. It appears that I won't be able to do that once the sheet is hidden ... true??

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    There are different degrees of invisibility
    Sheets(1).Visible = False
    Sheets(2).Visible = xlVeryHidden
    which could also affect what you're trying to do.
    Regards
    Malcolm
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Hi, Malcolm! Thanks for the reply. I read the Help and it showed those states, but it didn't elaborate on what can and can't be done with a hidden sheet. The "xlVeryHidden" condition looked a tad scary, so I didn't mess with that. I just used ".Visible = False/True".

Is there also a way to make a window visible/invisible? Maybe that has some possibilities. I couldn't find anything about hiding windows, but I'm almost sure I saw someone do that somewhere.

I noticed that for one or two of the transitions I described above there are periods when my screen just goes blank while things are happening. I have no idea why that happens, but I'd like to cause it to happen at times.

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar

Sure you can tamper with invisible sheets...for example:

[VBA]Option Explicit

Sub HideSheet()
    Sheets(1).Visible = xlVeryHidden
    MsgBox "Sheet3 Hidden"
    Sheets(1).Range("A1") = "hi there"

Sheets(1).Visible = True
    End Sub

[/VBA]
    Not sure where your problem lies...unless that you try to select sheets in order to change values on them.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

You might also want to experiment with the trusty ScreenUpdating function which may well help with the epilepsy-causing-screen-flashing-syndrome that sometimes happens - this will effectively 'freeze' your screen whilst the code runs in the background.

[VBA]
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False'<Turns it off

'Your code goes here

Application.ScreenUpdating = True'<Turns it back on
    [/VBA]

Regards,
    Apps

shouldn't it be:
    [VBA]
    MsgBox "Sheet1 Hidden"
    [/VBA]
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Hey Joseph,
    shouldn't it be:
    [vba]
    MsgBox "Sheet1 Hidden"
    [/vba]
    whooops

I originally had everything set to sheet 3, but I realized before I pressed "Post" that some users don't use all 3 sheets in a new workbook...so I thought that I changed everything to 1....oh well.

you knew what I meant

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    ok, ok. Just make sure you're on your A-game. I'll be watching you lol