Consulting

Thread: AutoCAD 2004 - WBLOCK command

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base
    AutoCAD 2004 - WBLOCK command

Recently I posted about SHX Fonts and an error about too many unknown fonts. It was solved by the WBLOCK command. But I had to re-create my named filter layers.

Is there a way to save the created named filter layers?

Thanks

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Were they in use when you wblocked the file?
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

from the helpfile as I don't use layer filters much:
    If you use WBLOCK to create a new drawing from the current drawing, saved layer states are preserved only if you specify Entire Drawing as the source in the Write Block dialog box (equivalent to -wblock /* on the command line). These saved layer states will refer only to layers that contain objects.
    So basically I think you must have objects on the layers in the filter when you run wblock.....
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Nah, I read up on that earlier and I was hoping to find my answer there...but when I dug a little deeper I found this in the help file:

Saves state and properties settings of the layers in a drawing under a specified layer state name. When saving a layer state, you specify which layer settings are affected when the layer state is later restored.

New Layer State Name
    Specifies a name for the new layer state to be saved.
    Layer States
    Specifies the layer states settings that are to be saved in the layer state: On/Off, Frozen/Thawed, Locked/Unlocked, Plot/No Plot, New VP Frozen/Thawed.
    Layer Properties
    Specifies the layer properties settings that are to be saved in the layer state: Color, Linetype, Lineweight, and Plot Style.
    So the Layer States aren't the filters that I created...

But thanks for the reply

P.S. I also found this:

If you use WBLOCK to create a new drawing from the current drawing, saved layer states are preserved only if you specify Entire Drawing as the source in the Write Block dialog box (equivalent to -wblock /* on the command line). These saved layer states will refer only to layers that contain objects.
    And I did do just that (Entire Drawing as the source). And I lost the layer filters.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

These saved layer states will refer only to layers that contain objects.
    You must have existing blocks on those layers on the sheet when you wblock....right?
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Yeah, but whether it be blocks or a line....the layer state would be saved...as it was. From what I gather layer states are not filters created in the layer manager.

Hmm....