Consulting

Thread: Solved: Disable "X" Button on ActiveWorkBook

Solved: Disable "X" Button on ActiveWorkBook

I can use the Application.Hwnd property and the RemoveMenu API to disable the Close [X] button on an instance of Excel.

Additionally I can issue Application.CommandBars("File").Enabled = False to disable the File Menu.

I then load a template for data entry and assume for all intensive purposes that the user cannot close Excel, or perform file I/O. However, the user can still click the X on the ActiveWorkbook and close the template. My question: is their a way to disable the Close Button on the Activeworkbook? Stan

Justin Labenne

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    This is a poor programming technique IMO, as you are stopping the user from doing things that other workbooks permit. I would suggest that it is better to interecept the BeforeClose event, and do whatever you want to do there.

Your code disables the X on the Application, not the ActiveWorkbook (see attached jpg - I want to disable X on the RemoveX child window, not the Excel main window).

Stan

This is a poor programming technique IMO, as you are stopping the user from doing things that other workbooks permit. I would suggest that it is better to interecept the BeforeClose event, and do whatever you want to do there.
    XLD;

While I agree in general, in this particular application the user never runs Excel - they run a .wsc that opens the Excel Object then the template file - there is no macro code in the template, and I don't want any. The user can enter data, but must click on the floating toolbar [created by the .wsc] to save and close the workbook and Excel object. See attached jpg - it is a test template, not the real thing.

I figured it out. Needed to 'hijack' the WorkBookBeforeClose() event and set Cancel=True. But then I needed to release the event after my floating toolbutton is pressed so that Excel Object could be closed normally.
    Stan

Glad you figured it out. Sorry for misreading......to remove the window close:

[VBA]Option Explicit

Public Sub RemoveWindowX()
    ActiveWorkbook.Protect , , True
    End Sub

Public Sub RestoreWindowX()
    ActiveWorkbook.Protect , , False
    End Sub[/VBA]
    Justin Labenne

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    XLD;

While I agree in general, in this particular application the user never runs Excel - they run a .wsc that opens the Excel Object then the template file - there is no macro code in the template, and I don't want any. The user can enter data, but must click on the floating toolbar [created by the .wsc] to save and close the workbook and Excel object. See attached jpg - it is a test template, not the real thing.
    and yet you plaster the Excel icon all over it?

and yet you plaster the Excel icon all over it?
    To repeat: "it is a test template, not the real thing"