Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Count Rows

VBAX Master
    Count Rows

One last thing everyone, I added the for loop in but since the file can sometimes be very small and sometimes it can be very large I put in:

[VBA]
    For I = 1 to 65556
    [/VBA]

This way it always looks at the whole file. I would like to speed it up since I am using that code in a few times. I know it is possible to count the amount of rows and then use that number to replace 65556 but I don't know how. Sorry, if I am being a pest but I am a beginner at VBA and I have 2 books on it that are good but they are both missing alot. If anyone can recommend an excellent book that has a lot of VBA code in it that would help also.

Daniel

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp).Row

[/vba]

VBAX Master
    Ok after I count the rows I would like to use it to specify the range from the 1st cell to the last one it counted. How can I do this?

Daniel

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Ok after I count the rows I would like to use it to specify the range from the 1st cell to the last one it counted. How can I do this?

Daniel
    [vba]
    Option Explicit

Sub A()
    Range(Cells(1, "A").End(xlDown), Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Select
    End Sub
    [/vba]OR [vba]
    Option Explicit

Sub B()
    Range(Range("A1").End(xlDown), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Select
    End Sub
    [/vba]
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

VBAX Master
    John thank you but I would like to count it once and you use the count multiple times on different columns. Can you please help with that?
    Thank you,
    Daniel

Administrator

Daniel
    Sorry, I was answering the question above, where I took 'specify' to mean 'refer to' or 'reference'...

What I gave was two options that refer to ranges within a single column by placing two different comma-separated ranges within the range object. The examples given then select all ranges between those two ranges {note that there is an assumption that there may be empty rows at the top of the sheet - if there are not, erase .End(xlDown)}.

I'm still not sure what you want, if you want to actually count the number of rows, replace the .Select with .Rows.Count - alternatively, if you want to obtain the address of the cells replace .Select with .Address
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Master
    Sorry if I didn't explain it too well. I want to count the rows then I enter a formula in d1 and I want to copy it from row 1 to the last row counted and then I want to do the same for the f column and so on.
    Last edited by Djblois; 06-20-2006 at 01:06 PM.

VBAX Master
    I found some code in a book but I can't get it to work

[VBA]FinalRow = Range("A65536").End(x1up).Row[/VBA]

I want to use that to define the last row of data and then enter a formula in Cells d2 all the way down to the final row. Can someone help me get that code working and then help me use it to enter formulas.

VBAX Master

Ok Daniel I finally got a minute to look at this and I have a working solution I think.....probably could be improved on by better coders but take a look: example attached.
    [VBA]
    Option Explicit
    Option Compare Text
    Sub DeleteRows()
    Dim test As Boolean, x As Long, lastrow As Long, col As Long
    Dim FillRange As Range
    Range("D1").Select
    col = ActiveCell.Column
    lastrow = Cells(65536, col).End(xlUp).Row
    For x = lastrow To 1 Step -1
    test = Cells(x, col).Text <> ""
    Range("E1").Select
    ActiveCell.Formula = "=SUM(C22)"

Range("D1").Select
    Set FillRange = ActiveCell
    On Error GoTo 0
    If FillRange Is Nothing Then
    Exit Sub
    End If
    Set FillRange = FillRange(1, 2)
    lastrow = Cells(65536, ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp).Row
    If lastrow > FillRange.Row Then
    FillRange.AutoFill Range(FillRange.Address & ":" & _
    Cells(lastrow, FillRange.Column).Address), xlFillDefault
    End If
    Next
    End Sub
    [/VBA]
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Master
    I found some code in a book but I can't get it to work

[vba]FinalRow = Range("A65536").End(x1up).Row[/vba]

I want to use that to define the last row of data and then enter a formula in Cells d2 all the way down to the final row. Can someone help me get that code working and then help me use it to enter formulas.
    Can someone help me get this code to work and then be able to use it in formulas.

So...you wish to enter a specific formula in the cells in the E column? The file in post 11 selects E1 and drags the formula down....can be easily reconfigured to start in E2....I'm confused as to your needs I guess.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Master
    I thought there would be a way to say enter formula only in fields E2 up to the Last row counted.

you wish to drag up???? or you wish to enter a different formula in each cell of E2 up?
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

or do you mean from the bottom up to the last row of D.....???? gotta have details....please try to communicate exactly what you are trying to do or I'm lost in stupid parenthesis....
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Master
    or do you mean from the bottom up to the last row of D.....???? gotta have details....please try to communicate exactly what you are trying to do or I'm lost in stupid parenthesis....
    Lucas,

I am sorry if I am not explaining it well enough. Here is what I am doing now:

[VBA]Range("C1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=PROPER(Trim(MID(RC[-2],16,50)))"
    Selection.Copy
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, -2).Range("A1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2).Range("A1").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlUp)).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Selection.Copy
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues[/VBA]

I perform the same set of code a few times in the Macro on different columns. I thought to speed up the Macro I can tell it to enter that formula in C1 all the way down to the last row counted. I feel this would be faster. Would it be?

It does what your describing. You may have to change the column callouts but that should be it.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

If you can give me a step by step explaination of what your code in post 17 is supposed to do for you I think I can help you. Here's what I see.

Select cell C1
    insert a formula into cell c1
    then it looks like your trying to select the used range in column A to paste the formula that is in cell C1 (without dragging down...just the same formula in each cell of the used range in column A..) please clarify for me.
    Steve
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Master

1)I enter a formula in C1
    2)Then I move back to A1 (Cause I know there are no blank lines in column A1)
    3)Then I go to the bottom of A1
    4)Then I move back over to the last row of the C column
    5)Then I select from the last row of the C column up to C1
    6)Then I paste the formula with relative references
    7)Then I copy
    8)Then I paste special-Values

Thank you Lucas for all your help