Consulting

Thread: Solved: Help w/auto "Save As" macro

VBAX Newbie
    Question Solved: Help w/auto "Save As" macro

I have developed a spreadsheet to collect data in a particular format from offices in the field. Part of the standardization is to create the file name from data entered into the spreadsheet, which I have done. Now what I would like to do is to place a button on the spreadsheet that will execute a ?File:Save As? command using the name in the cell to save the file under the new name. This will allow them to use the original as a ?template? and provide the data in a consistent form to the central office.

Anyone have any idea where I can find such an ?animal??

THANKS!

From your Control Toolbox menu, create a new CommandButton on the sheet. Right click it and choose "View Code"

In the window that opens up, enter the following:
    [vba]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    ThisWorkbook.SaveAs ActiveSheet.Range("A1")
    End Sub[/vba]

(Change A1 to the cell you want it to be)

Close the Visual Basic Editor and save your file.

Then in cell A1 (or whatever) enter the following (update to your path):
    c:\temp\myfile.xls

Click the button, and away you go. (You may need to turn off design mode to do this. It's the little triangle button on your Control Toolbox toolbar.)

HTH,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    Chat VP
    ... This will allow them to use the original as a ?template? and provide the data in a consistent form to the central office.

Anyone have any idea where I can find such an ?animal??

THANKS!
    Have you considered saving the original as an actual template? ... File > Save As... and select 'Template' then name it as 'Company Workbook' (or whatever) and click "Save". The template is then available as an option whenever you click on the "New Office Document" icon
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks, Ken! This works great! Now, at the risk of being greedy, who would I "fix" this so the same button can be used to "re-save"? When you press it a second time it provides the usual "file exists . . . want to replace" dialog but should I click "No" or "Cancel" it 'breaks'! Is there a way of trapping this response and exiting "gently"?

johnske, yes, I briefly considered that but thought it would be easier to deploy via email this way, what do you think?

[vba]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    On Error GoTo errHandler
    ThisWorkbook.SaveAs ActiveSheet.Range("A1")
    Exit Sub

errHandler:
    Select Case Err.Number
    Case Is = 1004
    'The file already exists so exit
    Exit Sub
    Case Else
    MsgBox "An unexpected error has occured"
    End Select
    End Sub[/vba]

I actually agree with John, too. A template is the ideal situation. As far as installation, you just need to tell the users where to put it and you're done. I assume that you want the user to save it under your filename after you're done, though, so you still need this code if I read it correctly.

HTH,

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    Well maybe you could have the best of both worlds by incorporating something like this into what you have
    [VBA]
    Option Explicit

Sub SaveAsTemplate()
    ' 'insert your own parameters below
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _
    Filename:=Application.TemplatesPath & "testbook.xlt", _
    FileFormat:=xlTemplate, _
    Password:="", _
    WriteResPassword:="", _
    ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _
    CreateBackup:=False
    End Sub
    [/VBA]
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

I think we're looking at this at different angles. My interpretation was that the initial file would be created and distributed as a template, with the code I provided above to save under the name as determined by sbrown's convention. (Whatever that may be.)

Being based off the template ensures that the data is in the format they need it in, and the code ensures that the file name is compliant with what they need. (eg yyyy-mm-dd data.xls, or whatever)

Of course, I could be totally off base too.

Administrator
    Hey John,

I think we're looking at this at different angles. My interpretation was that the initial file would be created and distributed as a template, with the code I provided above to save under the name as determined by sbrown's convention. (Whatever that may be.)

Being based off the template ensures that the data is in the format they need it in, and the code ensures that the file name is compliant with what they need. (eg yyyy-mm-dd data.xls, or whatever)

Of course, I could be totally off base too.
    Hi Ken,

Not at all, a question was brought up regarding 'deploying (a template) via email'. The workbook (with your other code in it) could be emailed with a Workbook_Open event to install the workbook as a template if it doesn't exist.

The code to do the installation can then be removed, leaving the template workbook in the "New Office Document" dialog box so that if the other 'template' is accidentally deleted there is always a copy of the template somewhere on the PC, as in this example

[vba]
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    If Dir(Application.TemplatesPath & "TestBook.xlt") = Empty Then
    ' 'insert your own parameters below
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _
    Filename:=Application.TemplatesPath & "TestBook.xlt", _
    FileFormat:=xlTemplate, _
    Password:="", _
    WriteResPassword:="", _
    ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _
    CreateBackup:=False
    End If
    RemoveThisWorkbookCode
    End Sub

Private Sub RemoveThisWorkbookCode()
    Dim N As Long
    With ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents("ThisWorkbook").CodeModule
    '//.CountOfLines is ALL lines - change to suit\\
    For N = 1 To .CountOfLines - 1
    .DeleteLines 2
    Next
    End With
    End Sub
    [/vba]

VBAX Newbie
    Boy, the two of you think on a much higher plane than I do but you have definitely given me some great things to think about! I thank you both for your input and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated!

This spreadsheet was supposed to be a “stop gap” measure while a new system is being developed and I’ve probably already put more time and effort into it than is warranted but I’ve learned a lot! The purpose of the spreadsheet is to collect data in an organized fashion from various offices around the state, then using Access, consolidate the information into something useful! We wanted to standardize and facilitate the collection of the data, thus the spreadsheet. We are using email to distribute the form to clerks who have little or no training (we even discovered some of the offices didn’t have Excel, so much for standardization!). Anyway, thanks again!

I’m new to this but if I can figure out how, I’ll mark this as solved. Thanks again for your interest and comments!

Steve

This spreadsheet was supposed to be a ?stop gap? measure while a new system is being developed {snip}
    They all start that way.

John, I see what you mean. I never thought about deploying it via code. I've never actually used the code removal method on a workbook yet, but I remember you'd made a couple of KB articles on it. Clever!

I use one or the other of Johns methods to remove code and formula's quite a bit. Lots of people I deal with do not allow macros in files sent to them so they have to go.

I incorporate the delete routine into the end of a process on one spreadsheet. It saves a copy of itself on open then you run code to browse and consolidate used sheets from all excel files in a folder then it sorts the sheets. At the end of the sort routine I call the delete code and formula routine and it deletes it all and removes the formulas leaving values only, plus it deletes sheet1 which has the button to start the process. Result is a ready to email spreadsheet.
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln