Consulting

Thread: Sending email to Outlook with ClickYes

Sending email to Outlook with ClickYes

I've cobbled this code together. All seems well but I want to terminate execution of the 3rd party app. What do you folks use to kill applications?
    ' You should create a reference to the Microsoft 
    'Outlook 11.0 Object Library in the VBEditor (or whatever version you have)

Sub Send_Msg(sMsg As String)
    Dim objOL As New Outlook.Application
    Dim objMail As MailItem
    DoEvents
    Set objOL = New Outlook.Application
    Set objMail = objOL.CreateItem(olMailItem)
    With objMail
        .To = Range("MyEmail")
        .Subject = "test Mail Response"
        .Body = sMsg
        '.Display 'this will do everything EXCEPT send - 
        'most excellent for debugging after .display
        Shell "C:\Program Files\Express ClickYes\clickyes.exe"
        'note: this program is configured to NOT start at startup; 
        'and NOT start suspended. Thus it's active RIGHT NOW!!
        .Send
        'Kill Clickyes
    End With
    Set objMail = Nothing: Set objOL = Nothing
    End Sub
    Clickyes is at http://www.contextmagic.com/express-clickyes/ and seems be be recommended by at least one Outlook MVP, FWIW
    Last edited by mdmackillop; 06-26-2006 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Line breaks added.
    I just found a cool semi-advanced VBA page - dictionary, queue, etc. http://analystcave.com/excel-vba-dic...ta-structures/

I actually have a ClickYes script at home. If you can wait till later tonight, I'll dig it up for you...
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

I just found a cool semi-advanced VBA page - dictionary, queue, etc. http://analystcave.com/excel-vba-dic...ta-structures/

Sub Send_Msg(sMsg As String)
        Dim objOL As New Outlook.Application
        Dim objMail As MailItem
        Dim wshell As Object
    'Activate ClickYes
        Set wshell = CreateObject("wscript.shell")
        wshell.Run ("""C:\Program Files\Express ClickYes\ClickYes.exe"" -activate")
    DoEvents
        Set objOL = New Outlook.Application
        Set objMail = objOL.CreateItem(olMailItem)
        With objMail
        .To = Range("MyEmail")
        .Subject = "test Mail Response"
        .Body = sMsg
        .Send
        End With
    'Kill Clickyes
        wshell.Run ("""C:\Program Files\Express ClickYes\ClickYes.exe"" -stop")
    Set objMail = Nothing: Set objOL = Nothing: Set wshell = Nothing
    End Sub
    Fwiw, I used a late bind to create the shell object. It's the way I coded it in the past, and... well... it ain't broke.

Hope it helps,

Ken

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Funny enough, Malcolm, I'm in the middle of typing up an article on it for my site.

I could submit it here as well though...

The website is also meritorious. I'll be baaack to visit it.

And maddog, thanks for the linefeed. It vastly helps, as I don't like code running off the screen(due to the long comment) any more than you or anyone does!

Ken, I get a 429 error from the CreateObject. I know that the brain surgeons at Microsoft only recognize this as a GetObject error, but it's for real. ("ActiveX component can't create object")

If this is a reference issue, my checked ones are
    VB for Apps
    M$ Excel 11.0 Object Lib
    OLE Automation
    MM Offic 11.0 Object Lib
    M$ Forms 2.0 Object Lib
    M$ Outlook 11.0 Object Lib

Can you post the whole routine you're using and tell me which CreateObject line? Don't know if you're using the one above, or the one from my site.

I don't actually have Outlook here, so can't test for you (can later tonight), but I might be able to see it from the code...
    Last edited by Ken Puls; 06-27-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Sorry, idiot user error! Thanks for getting it right, Ken. (/sheepish retreat mode on)

So you're dying on setting the ClickYes object?

Set wshell = CreateObject("wscript.shell")
    I actually have the Beta Outlook 2007 here, but it crashes when I try starting it. It allowed me to step part way through the code though...

My references are:
    VB for Apps
    M$ Excel 11.0 Object Lib
    OLE Automation
    M$ Office 11.0 Object Lib
    M$ Outlook 12.0 Object Lib

Tested last night with the 11.0 version of Outlook though...

No, you're fine. Late last night when you posted it, I wrote it down, and foolish moi mistranslated it to CreateObject("C:... somewhere over the chasm.

Your code rocks.

I know, I should have shot the info over on my Dick Tracy wristwatch...

or Ctrl - V doooooooooohhh