Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Turn worksheet into "userform"

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    As I see it,
    1. You can add a series of userforms as Steve's suggestion. If I was follwing this route, I think this would be best done with 3 or 4 maximum, each grouping together similar data. Latter forms should also display Name etc. information previously entered in labels so no mix up occurs if a disruption in data input takes place (tea breaks etc.)

2. You can work more on the form. It should be possible to code for a predetermined Tab order to make data entry sensible.

3. Make use of ActiveX (Control Toolbox) items on your form, checkboxes, textboxes and the like.

All options require a good deal of work. It all depends upon your users, frequency of use etc. Changes to your form layout can also be difficult and require changes to background code etc.

Personally, I would recommend Access. Its a bit of a learing process, but definitely the best solution in the long run. It will be more secure, easier to manage and multiple user access is simpler.

Regards
    MD
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

VBAX Guru
    MD, I am glad that you agree about "Access" being the better solution.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    I would even suggest that you hire a professional (or even someone here) to create your initial database. With this at your disposal, you can start to learn how it's put together and see the code that makes it work. That's how I started in Access, and athough no expert, I've now created half a dozen or so different applications being used by my employer.
    Regards
    MD
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

VBAX Expert
    Here's my newly designed "userform" with a database worksheet for the items that's needed to be tracked. Can you give me a head start with the command button controls and how the userform dumps the data into the OPM-71 worksheet and the Database worksheet???

Regards

Charlie

VBAX Expert
    Thanks MD I will definitely look into that. One of my questions from way back, not necessarily in this thread, was what is the pros and cons of Access over Excel? I haven't heard why one over the other in the application that's being used?

Learner extraordinaire

Charlie

There are many reasons for using Access for a database instead of Excel.

The main one is probably that Access is actually a database application and Excel isn't.

Charlie, if you decide to go with Excel and use the form from post 24 then you have a little work ahead of you. Only you know which items you wish to go to which sheet and the location. If you look at the file I uploaded it will show you how to get data to a worksheet from a textbox and how to make things happen on button click. Look carefully at the modules and the code for the form and when you run into a specif problem like how to populate your comboboxes, etc. post your question here. HTH
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Expert
    Thanks Lucas for the info. and I'll keep you in mind when the time comes.

Regards

Charlie