Consulting

Thread: Excel/VBA crash

VBAX Regular
    Excel/VBA crash

Quite often when I work in VBA writing code (or whatever..) Excel crashes and I have to use Task Manager to end the process. This happens both on my home PC running Win XP and on my Office PC running Win 2000. Is this something that happens to others as well, and in case, is there anything obvious that I may be doing wrong? Any ideas of how I can find out what the problem is would be appreciated....

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Does it happen when you run certain code? If so post the code here. If it just happens randomly, I would say to first try the detect and repair feature of Office, then if that doesn't work, reinstall Office.

Its strange that it happens on two different PCs. Make sure you run an antivirus program, and get all the security updates for your OS and Office from Microsoft.

Also try uninstalling all addins to see if maybe one of them is causing a problem.

I have seen this kind of problem, before, or at least a variation of it.

I had an issue when using a late bind to launch an instance of Word to mailmerge, then close it. For whatever reason, it left me with a hidden instance of Excel when I quit Excel. I never did get it resolved, but you can check out my thread at MrExcel.com if you're interested:
    http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewto...r=asc&start=13

Cheers,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Be sure your Office is up-to-date with the latest patches. Also, this happened to me while writing VBA code early on, before I realized I had to clean up all those objects. I, too, wound up with MANY hidden versions of Excel and Word that ultimately caused my PC to crash.

Cheers,
    James
    "All that's necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

VBAX Regular
    Thank you guys for your advice. I'm currently trying to look into the various possibilities but for an amateur like me it all takes a hell of a lot of time. (pardon my french..)

I may well end up posting my code here, but as I am a bit embarrassed of the 'unprofessionalism' of my code.. I'll end up being the biggest amusement on this forum..

Personally, I really wouldn't worry about the "professionalism" or your code. You should see some of the stuff I've written in the past!

We all start somewhere, and I highly doubt anyone here will laugh at you! As a matter of fact, I'm kind of curious to see what you have, and what solutions can be found. You never know when this kind of knowledge will come in useful!

Cheers,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    ... I may well end up posting my code here, but as I am a bit embarrassed of the 'unprofessionalism' of my code.. I'll end up being the biggest amusement on this forum..

Hey, you should see some of my code! Seriously, don't worry about it! Just be sure and enclose your code in the [ VBA ] & [ /VBA ] tags (no spaces), see picture below ...

VBAX Regular
    Thanks for reassuring me. Although I know I write awful spaghetti code I also know that I sometimes build nice working solutions to problems!! :rofl

Funny thing is, after I posted my thread this lock situation has not happened again! But I promise that I'll post my code whenever it happens next... Better get started tidying it up a bit..