Consulting

Thread: Userform management

VBAX Contributor
    Userform management

Hi, Im having some problems with hiddin the userform when asking for info. For example I tried to set a userform with a button. when it is actioned, the userform must hide, ask for some variables through Inpubox commands and then re-appear. I used .hide, action the inputboxes and then .show but when the .show sentence is reached, the proceeding code is never reached until the userform is terminated. I have also tried with the visible property but I keep gettin some errors. Is there an easy way to "disappear" a userform without having so much trouble with the code? thanks

VBAX Contributor
    Example

Example

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Example
    Works fine for me.

VBAX Contributor
    It pops a message (in the visible button) that says the function or the interface is marked as restricted or the function uses an automatization non admitted in VBA, and in the show/hide it never reaches the code .backcolor until I terminate the userform. It is obvious I could move it before the show sentence but this is just an example of a much complicated addin Im working on and on various actions i have to hide and show the userform.
    (I tried granting access to VBA proyects but the resut is the same)

Why are you using inputboxes and a userform?

Surely that defeats the purpose of the userform?

You have this code

[vba]

UserForm1.Visible = False
    [/vba]

You know that is not how you hide the form, you use

[vba]

Userform1.Hide
    [/vba]

which is the correct way.

VBAX Contributor
    I use the inputbox to add new data and the textboxes for modifying. Plus I also run some cheks with the inputboxes. In my example I set two buttons, one with visible and other with hide/show. I get the mentioned error with the .visible way but when using the hide and show way it nerver reaches (as I mentioned before) the following code

[vba]

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    UserForm1.Hide
    Var = InputBox("Code")
    Var = InputBox("Code")
    UserForm1.Show
    CommandButton1.BackColor = vbBlue
    End Sub
    [/vba]

works fine for me

VBAX Contributor
    Maybe Ive not been clear enough. Do you get your button turn blue?, cause when it reaches userform.show it never reaches the turn blue until I terminate the userform. Thats not the idea. Another example, If I want to send a msgbox without the userform to be on screen, can I hide it and then make it visible and hace the code continue without waiting to be terminated?

Quote Originally Posted by Norie
    makako

Why are you using inputboxes and a userform?

Surely that defeats the purpose of the userform?

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    UserForm1.Hide
    Var = InputBox("Code")
    Var = InputBox("Code")
    CommandButton2.BackColor = vbBlue
    UserForm1.Show
    End Sub
    [/VBA]
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

VBAX Contributor
    Norie, its a dummy of a much more complex userform, Forget about the inputbox, try a message box when unacceptable data is entered and I dont want the userform to be seen when the msgbox is shown. If i use the show/hide instance the following code will never be reached after showing the userform. And Lucas,
    ... userform. It is obvious I could move it before the show sentence but this is just an example of a much complicated addin Im working on and on various actions i have to hide and show the userform. ...

Let me change the thread: Is there anyway I can use the visible property instead?

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Let me change the thread: Is there anyway I can use the visible property instead?
    No, click on the userform and look in the properties window. You'll see 'Visible' is not a userform property (that's why you were getting an error msg)
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

VBAX Contributor
    yes, but when it write userform1. the list allows me the visible property. thanks anyway.

Administrator
    If you're referring to the intellisense list, the visible there is only intended to be used as a boolean test e.g. [VBA]If UserForm1.Visible Then MsgBox "Userform1 is Visible"[/VBA]
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

VBAX Contributor

You could of course just move the form out of sight:
    [VBA]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim dTop As Double
    dTop = Me.Top
    Me.Top = 2000
    MsgBox "Form is out of the way"
    Me.Top = dTop
    End Sub
    [/VBA]
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse