Consulting

Thread: Sumproduct function

VBAX Contributor
    Sumproduct function

Recently I read a thread about the countif function that linked me to an article on the sumproduct function working in arrays which was very useful. Now I wonder if its possible to find in a single cell to find the difference between theoretical payments and real payments. In the zip i post there is an example. The T values and the R values are assigned to different codes (clients). and each have an asigned date value. Lets say I have these columns (T) where I keep how the specific code wants to pay me for an Item. The, in columns (R) i keep score of the payments that are real. So, if i want to know how much is missing TODAY i would sum every theoretical payment that i should receive until now and then substract the real payment for each code. Then if the code is missing money (TODAY") then I sum up those leftovers and have an idea of missin payments.
    I used before sumproduct((datesT<Now())*(valuesT))-sum(valuesR) but if a code has more money than it should, its exceeding quota covers the missing money of someone else. I tried to make out of the code an array but it didnt work. Thanks

state of confusion, but vacation in denial
    Not sure if I understand completely, but I will take a look and see if I can figure out what it is you intend to do. It "sounds" as if you want to employ additional logic within the sumproduct arrays--

to the point, it sounds like you want the size of the array, and the location of the array itself to vary depending on the day---that can be quite tricky I would think.

Does this have to be a formula solution? or can it be a coded procedure..
    If you have posted the same question at multiple forums, please read this IMPORTANT INFO.

Please use the thread tools to mark your thread Solved

Please review the Knowledge Base
    for samples and solutions , or to submit your own!

VBAX Contributor
    Yes, the idea is to use the sumproduct and not a coded procedure. The idea is to use instead of using each Code in a separate formula, to use it in an array to have each code have all its T payments before today minus its real payments and sum up the number of codes that owe me money.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Kind of hard to understand how there can be Real Payments after todays date..

Anyway, I recommend setting up a column for the type (T, R) and creating a pivot table.

VBAX Contributor
    There are none, in the example I sen maybe there appear some because of the rand function. that should be now()-rand()*360 instead of the one shown, but in the formula u can see I sum up all R payments so one doesnt use the R date. But thanks, at least now I know some one gets the idea

state of confusion, but vacation in denial
    I think Firefytr is correct, a Pivot table is likely the best solution.
    If you have posted the same question at multiple forums, please read this IMPORTANT INFO.

Please use the thread tools to mark your thread Solved

Please review the Knowledge Base
    for samples and solutions , or to submit your own!