Consulting

Thread: Solved: Bookmarks in the Header/Footer

Solved: Bookmarks in the Header/Footer

Is it possible to access a bookmark in the Header / Footer of a document through VBA? I've found it easy to add text to the beginning or end, but I couldn't figure it out using a bookmark.

Thanks in advance!

Documents are split into what Word calls StoryRanges. Processing storyranges other than the main body of the document in VBA can be a bit of a hit and miss affair, but if you know where your bookmarks are, something like this should work ..

[VBA]ActiveDocument.StoryRanges(wdEvenPagesHeaderStory).Bookmarks("BookmarkName").Select[/VBA]

if you can't make it function, or this doesn't fit the bill, post back with a few more details and I'll take a closer look.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

Well, I've got good news, and I've got bad news...

The bad news, Tony, is that I couldn't get your code snippit to work. Try as I might, it just refused to go to the bookmark before putting in the text.

The good news is that you put me on the right track and with a little searching I found that in Word2000 and later you don't have to open the header or footer to access a bookmark. What it does do however, is put the document into "Normal" view (which, personally, I dislike - strongly). So after I insert the text, I changed the view back to "Print Layout". Here's the code I used assuming that there is a bookmark in the header called hdrText and a string variable called sPhone:
    [VBA]
    ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("hdrText").Select
    Selection.TypeText sPhone
    ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View = wdPrintView
    [/VBA]
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (again)!