Quote Originally Posted by Simon Lloyd
... i do understand that it is probably getting annoying for you now, because i know i get annoyed at work at people who dont "get" what i see as simple!
Oh, hardly. This is interesting, and I think you're doing fine with it.

...what i intend to do is put all the names captured on a worksheet in the analytical workbook so that the code will Vlookup or something like that the name of the user and either allow or deny working access to the workbook. Did that make sense?
Yes, but you may want to consider using ADO to connect to the workbook and just run an SQL (Select) query to check the current computer/user name. Means that you don't have to open the workbook in the Excel UI to levearge the vlookup. We can help you with that too.

i currently have your code for checking for authr.txt in the workbook but it is in the workbook folder, if i use thisworkbook.path and the user copies the folder for use at home will it defeat the security your code adds ?
Yes, it would. That's why I recommended using a different directory that the user wouldn't necessarily see. Now... if you are also checking their Machine name, though, then the probably would get denied, as their machine name wouldn't necessarily match.

Basically, what I'm looking at is a 3 part test. If they meet all of the criteria (Username and Computername match and the workbook is there), then let them access the file. Make sure you keep a backup of what you have, too, as you don't want someone overwriting it with an old version. (You may want to create a timestamped backup at every opening or something so you can restore if this happens.)