Consulting

Thread: Convert VBA Function to run on Server?

VBAX Regular
    Question Convert VBA Function to run on Server?

Woooo... it's been a LONG time since I was last here, hey all How's everyone doing??

Anyway... here's a right little doozy for a monday morning... let me set the scene a little first...

We have Access DB here is used to act as a document management system. We have a scanning system that scans stuff in and gives it a meaningful name before dropping the scanned image into a specific folder on the network.

My system (it's called CMS) runs a process every hour checking for the existance of any files in this specific folder. If any files are found, it moves the file to the correct area on the network, adds a record to the document log (so it appears in the listing for that claim, and enables the document to be opened at any point), CMS then sends the file handler an email (containing the scanned image as an attachment) via the Redemption utility, and finally adds a note to the claim history before moving onto the next file. It currently does this automatically with the use of VBA.

As all post is scanned in and coded before the processes run, we can have anything up to 50 or so documents. Due to the complicated processes that are run and as it will process all files that are found in the folder, this can take up to 10 minutes to run. The way it's currently set up, this means that one of the users' machines will be unable to perform any tasks while it's running as it.

What I would like to do is move this particular bit of code away from an Access app and have something running on the scheduler on the server. However, it doesn't have Office installed on there (and I don't really want it to if I can help it??)

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can acheive full automation of this? I have open access to the Server, and have Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition on my machine.

Thanks in advance... would appreciate any thoughts

Ad

I don't know about working with VB2005 Express (yet), but it could most likely be converted to a VBS file and scheduled to run from either a desktop or server console.

HTH,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!