Okay, I cling to older versions of Office too long! I only recently began using Office 2003 on a regular basis, although I have had it for some time. I was just too lazy to quit using Office 2000 and get 2003 all gussied up the way I wanted.

So I open a sheet using the SQLREQUEST worksheet function the other day, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but jolly St. Nicholas and his eight tiny reindeer; no, not really, just a bunch of errors. I dutifully tried to add the ODBC.xla file to get the add in I needed.

No joy. It wasn't there. It claims in the Help files to be downloadable from MS website. As you can see below, this is not actually the case.

I am mostly venting, as I think this is a silly notion from MS. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Add-ins that are not included with Excel 2002 and Excel 2003

Article ID:288118
Last Review:January 6, 2006
Revision:6.2

SUMMARY

Some of the add-ins that were included with earlier versions of Microsoft Excel are no longer included in Microsoft Excel 2002 and Excel 2003. This article lists the add-ins that are available for downloading from Tools on the Web that were previously removed.

MORE INFORMATION

The following add-ins are no longer included with Microsoft Excel 2002. However, they are available for download from the Excel section of Tools on the Web. Or you can visit one of the following links:
?Access Links
?Report Manager
?Template Wizard with Data Tracking
?ODBC Add-in (xlodbc.xla)

These following add-ins are no longer included with Microsoft Excel 2002. Additionally, they are not available for download:
?Autosave Add-in (Autosave.xla)
?MS Query 1.0/2.0 Compatibility (xlquery.xla)
?Template Utilities (tmpltnum.xla)
?Update Add-in Links (updtlink.xla)

Note Downloadable add-ins are available for Excel 2002 only. These add-ins are not supported for installation in Excel 2003