I am new to VBA, vbscript, or anything like that, so please have patience if I struggle with both the posing of this question and the understanding of any responses that I receive.

I have a batch command level file, that in the background, opens up an excel spreadsheet.
Let us assume that my excel spreadsheet resides on
my drive C: under the name of: "test_workbk.xls".
My batch file therefore contains these commands:

"c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\excel.exe" "c:\test_workbk.xls".

On top of this, I have embedded in the "test_workbk.xls" file, a VBA macro that gets initiated whenever the file is open. This macro, simply, saves the .xls file as a tab-delimited text-file. So - essentially, by using the aforementioned batch file, I am able to do this 'save-as' tab-delimited text conversion in the background. We want to automate the conversion, as a preliminary step that is needed in order to transfer the spreadsheet data to our mainframe computer (using connect:direct).

My question is: Can I determine the name of the tab-delimited text file that gets created at run-time; by using a variable for the file-name that gets passed in from the batch file? If so, how do I pass from the batch file this variable, and receive it in the VBA script ?

An additional thought to ponder:
=========================
Would it have been possible for me to accomplish the tab-delimited conversion without having to embed a VBA script inside the excel file
that gets initiated upon an open of the file.
Instead could I have written the tab-delimited conversion entirely in vbscript - and then my question becomes:
Can I pass a variable representing the tab-delimted file name, from the batch file to the vbscript?

regards and thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me.

dcs28