Consulting

Thread: How to change Date Picker content control format based on date comparison

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to change Date Picker content control format based on date comparison

Good morning,

I have two date picker content controls ("Visit Date - From" and "Visit Date -To") in a Word template. The template has been set up as a content type for a sharepoint library, so the two date fields are entered via the document information panel. I would like to change the format of the "Visit Date - From" depending on the dates entered in these two fields. The date format should appear as follows:

• When the month in the 'from date' is different to the month in the 'to date', the format should be for example, 03 March - 12 April 2014, i.e. dd mmmm - dd mmmm yyyy.
    • When the same month appears in the 'from date' and the 'to date', the format should be for example, 03 - 08 March 2014, i.e. dd - dd mmmm yyyy.

Both content controls in my word template are set to (dd mmmm yyyy).

I thought I had cracked it by creating a calculated column in my sharepoint library using the formula:=IF(MONTH([Visit Date - From])=MONTH([Visit Date - To]),TEXT([Visit Date - From],"DD"),TEXT([Visit Date - From],"DD MMMM")) only to discover that you cannot insert calculated columns or values into a word document, at least not OOTB.

Is it possible to achieve this through VBA?

I managed to compare the two fields, but that's only when the same date appears in both fields (pretty feeble attempt I know).

Sub SetDateFormat()

If ActiveDocument.SelectContentControlsByTag("Visit_x0020_Date_x0020__x002d__x0020_From").Item(1).Range.Text = _
     ActiveDocument.SelectContentControlsByTag("Visit_x0020_Date_x0020__x002d__x0020_To").Item(1).Range.Text Then

MsgBox "Match"
    End If
    End Sub
    Any pointers would be really appreciated.
    Last edited by JDS_916; 03-12-2014 at 03:23 AM.