Hello to the VBA experts, and thanks so much for your help.

I have three data validation dropdown lists on my sheet. They work together to locate invoices.
One selects the area for the search. The second selects the group according to the selected area. The third selects from the invoice numbers for the group.

Because data validation dropdowns do not have arrows until the cell is selected, I created an image of one using [screen copy/crop/paste]. I placed the image right over where the other one would appear. The user has no idea which is which, as the real one appears over the other when the cell is selected.

It works like this. When the user selects the image, the attached macro selects the cell, which shows the other dropdown and and auto-drops the selection list. It's slick.
Here are the 3 macros that make it work.
Sub DropdownSelectArea()
    Range("InvFSelect1").Select
    Application.SendKeys "%{DOWN}"
End Sub

Sub DropdownSelectGroup()
    Range("InvFSelect2").Select
End Sub

Sub DropdownSelectInvoice()
    Range("InvFInvNo").Select
End Sub
But there is one issue. If the user selects the dropdown, then instead of choosing within the list, decides to select the other dropdown and clicks the other arrow image...
1. The system is waiting for a response within the list.
2. At the same time VBA is telling the system to select a cell range instead.
3. It throws a 50290 error.

I tried adding an error trap, but it seems to skip that for some reason. None of the code will work, so the error trapping would have to jump the macro completely. It doesn't seem to respond to the On Error go to... so I removed that.

I tried to find a way to cancel the selection, such as sendkeys "{ESC}", but that erros as well.

Here is the strange bit. I select an image, it selects the cell and drops the list. I then select the other cell instead of the other image. The code doesn't run of course and there is no error. But I still have to select the arrow with a second click. This works without an error.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have run out of Google search ideas.