Consulting

Thread: Access to Access 2007

VBAX Tutor
    Access to Access 2007

We have Access 2007 on an office PC. We have a Sales Database, that all of our salesman used to access on this computer. They all had Access 2000. We all got Office 2007 (WITHOUT ACCESS). Do I have to purchase Access on the other computers to be able to access this data, or is there a way to add and/or access this database? Maybe even by internet access?

Keep in mind I am the IT department, I am very, very green when it comes to this stuff, so if there is no simple solution, just lay it on me easy... LOL
    Thank You for your help in advance.
    Michael

There is a download from Microsoft, Access 2007 runtime. Which allows an Access 2007 database to run on a pc without Access 2007 installed. The database will have to be converted to Access 2007 format first though.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

VBAX Tutor
    The database will have to be converted to Access 2007 format first though.
    Not sure but I think you are saying that I need to change it from an .mdb file?

So no one could access the file from a Office Access 2000 machine, is that right?

This stuff is way over my head, sorry if i seem ignorant.
    Michael

Or maybe '2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components':
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

There's probably more other ways to acheive what you want.

What extension does the database have?. .mdb .mde. .accdb?

VBAX Tutor

When you download the Data Connectivity Components it will allow you to use ACE connection strings to connect to the 2007 backend via your 2000 version .mdb's.

HTH
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

VBAX Tutor
    Wow! As I said before, this is way over my head!! Not sure what I need to do?

Also, on the 2nd part of my questions, is there a way to access over the internet? I know 2007 is suppose to be accessible over the internet, but i know 2000 is not??
    Michael

Wow! As I said before, this is way over my head!! Not sure what I need to do?
    You need to learn about Access Data Objects (ADO) connections. It's a broad field and there are a lot of great resources on the net, so I'm not going to try to reproduce them. You'll also need to bookmark this site: http://www.connectionstrings.com- you'll need it so you can find connection strings.

Also, on the 2nd part of my questions, is there a way to access over the internet? I know 2007 is suppose to be accessible over the internet, but i know 2000 is not??
    Easiest way is Data Access Pages, but you can also access records in Access via asp.NET- again, plenty of resources on line... I also don't work with this, so I don't have specifics.

HTH
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003