Consulting

Thread: Solved: Filter By Form with VBA

Solved: Filter By Form with VBA

Hi All,

I originally posted a question about this in this thread:
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35008

which I later closed out because I thought everything was good. Well, a problem has risen...

I was able to get my code to work as long as I'm searching within text fields, but when it is a number field I'm searching on, I am asked to enter a parameter. A portion of my code looks as follows:
    [VBA]
    Dim SearchVariable As String
    SearchVariable = Me.SearchCriteria.Value
    If SearchVariable = "Street Name" Then
    Me.Filter = "[Street Name] Like '*" & Me.Searchbox & "*'"
    Me.FilterOn = True
    ElseIf SearchVariable = "Job Number" Then
    Me.Filter = "[Job Number] Like '*" & Me.Searchbox & "*'"
    Me.FilterOn = True
    [/VBA]

In this instance, the "Street Name" option works, but the "Job Number" one does not.
    Any ideas?

Thank you!

What is the name of the parameter that it is asking for?

Is the field in the form's record source?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

your post got me thinking...and I then found my very noobish mistake. While the object in the form is called "Job Number", the field in the table is called "Job ID".

/sigh.

learned something though, the name "filter by form" threw me off. They should really call it "filter table fields through a form", haha.

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear that you got it figured out.

TIP: I prefer to name/rename the controls on forms/reports so that do not match the name of fields in the form/report's record source. Just like you got confused, at times so will Access.

See: Access Naming Conventions ** I have been using this since it was first published. I do use a different method for naming tables and their fields that I started using before the first IBM PC was even made. The key is consistency.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11