Consulting

Thread: Corrupt backend mdb file needs to be deleted

Corrupt backend mdb file needs to be deleted

Recently the backend mdb file has stopped allowing the compact and repair to work, saying that someone is accessing the file (even though there isn't).

I have got around this problem by creating a separate mdb file and importing all the tables. However, this older DB file is still there, and windows will not let me remove it do to it being "in use".

Is there any way to remove such a file easily. For example in dos command line?

NB: I don't have admin rights to the PC, only to the database.
    -Once my PC stopped working, so I kicked it......Then it started working again

VBAX Master
    Maybe try the safeboot option. Pressing F8 during start up would bring up some kind of menu with a couple of options. Select the safe boot instead of normal way.

Charlize

Recently the backend mdb file has stopped allowing the compact and repair to work, saying that someone is accessing the file (even though there isn't).
    Might be a stupid question, but have you checked your processes to make sure there isn't a hidden Access process running?
    -Randy Shea
    I'm a programmer, but I'm also pro-grammar!
    If your issue is resolved, please use Thread Tools to mark your thread as Solved!

PODA (Professional Office Developers Association) | Certifiable | MOS: Access 2003

I have shutdown my computer everynight since I moved to the new file, and the server isn't shutdown at all (nor do I have access to that side of the server, at least not legally ).

I'll try the safeboot option, it's worth a shot

Thank you both for your suggestions

There is also a hidden file that access creates when it it running. In explorer make sure that you can see all file type, if it looks different (normally has a $ in the ext) delete it. then I believe you should be able to delete the database.

Nope, safe boot didn't solve it. I'll have to find another solution

Another option if you can't install that file get an old dos boot disk or a CD bootable linux distro and delete using that.

that unlocker looks perfect, but I do not have admin rights on this network so cannot install anything. I did install it to my pen drive at home, but the software looks like you have to right click and choose the program in order to use it. (sigh)

Ta for the idea, is almost ideal

Sounds like you need to get hold of your systems admin or someone with admin rights. Unless you can boot a different OS it is unlikely that an unlokcer will be able to kill the process without admin rights even if it can be run with no install

Last resort rip out the HDD and put it in a machine that you have admin rights for! A bit extreame though!

Sounds like you need to get hold of your systems admin or someone with admin rights. Unless you can boot a different OS it is unlikely that an unlokcer will be able to kill the process without admin rights even if it can be run with no install

Last resort rip out the HDD and put it in a machine that you have admin rights for! A bit extreame though!
    Wow, that is extreme but unfortunately the server is in a locked room (needs a key card and passcode, and I lost my spy toolkit many moons ago )

I think I may ask the IT network people, make it their problem lol

Such problem is often raised in case if mdb file often corrupts and when an attempt is tried to access the file it shows as being accessed by another user. So its necessary to go for mdbx repair and fix the file and therefore access information.

Must Try!