Consulting

Thread: Match worksheet function in VBA searching on multiple criteria

Match worksheet function in VBA searching on multiple criteria

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...OsKMFNy3gfzCis

I have a spreadsheet of currency trading data. (link to sample attached) I want to return the close value (F column) having found the correct Date (A column) and Time (B column).
    I have a cell formula which works in the Excel spreadsheet. =Index((F2:F34),Match(K2&K3,A2:A34&B2:B34),0)
    Where K2 and K3 are the date and time combination I am looking for.

I would like to get this into vba so I can enter the Date and Time as variables.

So far I cannot get this into vba. I have broken down the formula into component steps to see where the issue lies.

Index works ok: Selection.Value = WorksheetFunction.Index(Range("F2:F34"), 19) 'returns the 19th value in the Range. So far so good.

The Match function works well like this with only one column (Date) being searched.
    Selection.Value = WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("K2"), Range("A2:A34"), 0) 'returns the date searched for from a column of dates

I however get a compile error when I try to search on two columns, namely Date and Time
    Selection.Value = WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("K2") & Range("K3"), Range("A2:A34") & Range("B2:B34"), 0)

Is there a way to use the Match WorksheetFunction to search on multiple criteria in vba?

Thank you.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Selection.Value = [Index((F2:F34),Match(K2&K3,A2:A34&B2:B34),0)]
    or
    Selection.Value = Evaluate("Index((F2:F34),Match(K2&K3,A2:A34&B2:B34),0)")
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Thank you very much p45cal I will give those a try.

VBAX Sage
    If this is part of a VBA application, then you could forego using WS formulas

TestFuncClose () just returns the Close for a date and time

TestFunc () returns a 4 element array for a date and time with the 4 parameters using a single search

Sub drv()

Dim A As Variant

With ActiveSheet
            MsgBox TestFuncClose(.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion, .Range("K2"), .Range("K3"))

A = TestFunc(.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion, .Range("K2"), .Range("K3"))
            MsgBox "Open = " & A(1)
            MsgBox "High = " & A(2)
            MsgBox "Low = " & A(3)
            MsgBox "Close = " & A(4)
        End With

End Sub

'3 = open, 4 = high, 5 = low, 6 = close
    Function TestFuncClose(Rin As Range, Din As Date, Tin As Date) As Variant
        Dim vData As Variant
        Dim i As Long

TestFuncClose = CVErr(xlErrNA)

vData = Rin.CurrentRegion.CurrentRegion

For i = 2 To UBound(vData, 1)
            If vData(i, 1) = Din And vData(i, 2) = Tin Then
                TestFuncClose = vData(i, 6)
                Exit Function
            End If
        Next

End Function

Function TestFunc(Rin As Range, Din As Date, Tin As Date) As Variant
        Dim vData As Variant
        Dim i As Long
        Dim A(1 To 4) As Double

TestFunc = CVErr(xlErrNA)

vData = Rin.CurrentRegion.CurrentRegion

For i = 2 To UBound(vData, 1)
            If vData(i, 1) = Din And vData(i, 2) = Tin Then
                A(1) = vData(i, 3)
                A(2) = vData(i, 4)
                A(3) = vData(i, 5)
                A(4) = vData(i, 6)
                TestFunc = A
                Exit Function
            End If
        Next

End Function
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Hi p45Cal, I could not get either of those two suggested pieces of code to work. I have found something that seems to work which is:

Sub Findclose()
    Range("K4").Select
    Range("K4").Value = WorksheetFunction.Index(Range("F2:F34"), WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("K2"), Range("A2:A34"), 0) + WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("K3"), Range("B2:B34"), 0) - 1)

End Sub

Why do I need the minus one at the end?
    If I run the code without it I get the close from the row below the close I am searching for. I understand the -1 is jumping back up a row to find the required data but not sure why the function moves down a row in the first place.

If I do not put WorksheetFunction in front of Index and Match I get a function or sub not defined error.

Thank you Paul for your effort and your post. I think I have found a single line of code answer which I posted about earlier. It seems pretty robust so far. I am wondering why given all the things Excel and VBA do very well why it is so difficult to essentially return data from a search based on two columns.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellstock View Post
    I have found something that seems to work which is:
    Sub Findclose()
    Range("K4").Select
    Range("K4").Value = WorksheetFunction.Index(Range("F2:F34"), WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("K2"), Range("A2:A34"), 0) + WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("K3"), Range("B2:B34"), 0) - 1)
    End Sub
    This is nonsense.
    "Seems" is the operative word.
    Try running it in the file you linked to in msg#1 looking for 5:00 10 March 2020
    Also try looking for 5:00 9th March 2020 which isn't in the list - it returns a value!

Addition after posting:
    Attached, that file with a button to run your line of code, and the other two I suggested earlier, and puts the 3 results into K4:M4.
    First search for 17:15 9th March 2020; all fine, three similar results in cells K4, L4 & M4.
    Second, search for 5:00 10 March 2020; Correct results in L4 and M4, your code throws an error.
    Now try 5:00 9th March 2020 for which there is no data in the table; L4 and M4 both display correcly #N/A, whereas your code return a value of 13055! (This is the close on the 10th March at 5am)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by p45cal; 03-29-2020 at 05:44 AM.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellstock View Post
    Thank you Paul for your effort and your post. I think I have found a single line of code answer which I posted about earlier. It seems pretty robust so far. I am wondering why given all the things Excel and VBA do very well why it is so difficult to essentially return data from a search based on two columns.

Sub Findclose()
    Range("K4").Select
    End Sub

1. What do you plan to do when you have 35 rows of data?

2. Don't need to select the cell to use it
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Hi p45cal, thank you for your post and your demonstrations that your code works. I saw your post with the formulas late last night and had high hopes for using the expression with the [] brackets first thing this morning.
    I had to put CSE entered {} around the Excel spreadsheet version of the formula when working on a PC with Excel 2010 earlier this week so had seen this sort of thing before. No idea of course how it applies in VBA.
    I usually use a computer with Excel 365.

I must have entered your formulae incorrectly for which I apologise.
    That you from keeping me from going down a time consuming blind alley.

Hi Paul, I like to work with a small dataset before rolling out to a bigger one. When the time comes I would probably use something like or involving Cells(Rows.Count,1).End(xlUP).

Yes I know I select Ranges and cells more often than I need to. I helps me demonstrate to myself that I am manipulating the spreadsheet the way I am wanting to.

I also sometimes need to leave a cell selected in a particular place in order to run the next procedure to be called. Thank you for your interest,

Ian

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    In VBA:

Sub M_snb()
        y = CDate("2020/03/09 17:30:00")
        sn = Sheet1.Cells(1).CurrentRegion

For j = 1 To UBound(sn)
          If sn(j, 1) + sn(j, 2) = y Then Exit For
        Next

If j <= UBound(sn) Then MsgBox sn(j, 6)
    End Sub

VBAX Newbie
    On a now closed thread, also dealing with a search on multiple criteria. mikerickson's posted (09-01-2011, 09:57 AM) code line as follows:

CSEFormula = ("Match(" & Chr(34) & sTerm1 & Chr(34) & "&CHAR(5)&" & Chr(34) & sTerm2 & Chr(34) & "," & .Range("C1:C100").Address(, , , True) & "&CHAR(5)&" & .Range("E1:E100").Address(, , , True) & ",0)")

I was able to get that code to work for me, but I don't understand what
    &CHAR(5)& does.

What is the purpose of that code snippet and why is it necessary in the formula?
    Thanks.