Consulting

Thread: Use a variable for subroutine name

Use a variable for subroutine name

I have many macros in a workbook but only 7 or 8 are normally used. Sometimes the particular macro name needed is lost in this list of macros. I added a worksheet (named "DOC") which lists the most common macros with a brief description of their function. Now I'd like to highlight the macro name I want and call it. Although the following code doesn't do this, it has the same problem. How do I fix it?

The code asks the user for a macro name and then attempts to call that macro. It gets a compile error because the variable name for the macro isn't allowed. If I can get this to work, I can solve the real problem.

Sub VarMac()

Dim macName as String

macName = InputBox("Please enter the macro name.")

MsgBox macName

Call macName

End

The key word "Private" keeps Procedures from being listed in the Macro list
    Private Sub Blahblah()
    Private Function Blehbleh()
    The Module directive "Option Private Module" keeps all Procedures in that Module from being listed
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Sub VarMac()
    Dim macName As String
    macName = InputBox("Please enter the macro name.")
    MsgBox macName
    Application.Run macName
    End Sub
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by jwise View Post
    I have many macros in a workbook but only 7 or 8 are normally used. Sometimes the particular macro name needed is lost in this list of macros. I added a worksheet (named "DOC") which lists the most common macros with a brief description of their function. Now I'd like to highlight the macro name I want and call it. Although the following code doesn't do this, it has the same problem. How do I fix it?

The code asks the user for a macro name and then attempts to call that macro. It gets a compile error because the variable name for the macro isn't allowed. If I can get this to work, I can solve the real problem.
    I'd add a 'Control Panel' worksheet with 7-8 buttons each calling the appropriate macro (or an UserForm if I wanted to get fancy)

It doesn't seen very user friendly to make people type in the name of a macro to run.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Thanks

Thank you for all the replies. VBAX is a wonderful site and resource.

"Application.Run" was exactly what I needed. I've tested the sample code and it performed as desired.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    You overlooked the very sensible comments Paul_Hossler made.

I appreciate every reply since the responder is taking his/her time to help me. I did not overlook any reply; I made a value judgement that the improved function was not worth the time to code and test. I decided it wasn't since the code was really for my use only. Had this been code that I would have sold or provided to others, the decision would have probably been different. Thanks for your input.