Consulting

Thread: Solved: Visual Basic Editor in Excel

Solved: Visual Basic Editor in Excel

The part here I am describing is not a problem really but it is merely an observation. Following are the details of the office PC:
    1. OS: Windows XP (Not sure @ Service Pack)
    2. Excel 2003

Whenever I do some coding related work or even activity such as viewing code then close it and later when the windows is locked (mostly due to inaction) and when I Log In using CTRL+ALT+DELETE, the VBE Window for Excel gets opened automatically.

My question is what triggers this event (of opening VBE window on its own)?
    Regards,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shrivallabha
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using Excel 2016 in Home / 2010 in Office

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Never seen this behaviour. Check your Personal.XLS and XLSTART folders for files which might contain code to do this. You could also disable all your add-ins until you find your problem.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

A] I checked following personal.xls in the XLSTART has no macro that I need for Excel files. Also I suppose ALT+F8 will show up macro if there is one in personal.xls.

B] I do not know how to check Add-In possibility. However, there are no custom applications on my PC.
    Regards,
    Shrivallabha

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    In the Tools/add-ins menu, clear any ticked items.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

In the Tools/add-ins menu, clear any ticked items.
    All the items are "unchecked" from the beginning.

One more thing that I have noticed is the VBE window does not open like it does normally as:
    a. It only shows the objects explorer and toolbar window.
    b. It does not show any of the toolbar ribbons.

I am attaching the snap only for clarity of my statements above as I am not sure that they convey the right message. The snap I have prepared on the home desktop and not on the office PC.

It is more and more intriguing case for me. The application is running smoothly otherwise. Thank you for looking into it!
    Regards,
    Shrivallabha

All the items are "unchecked" from the beginning.

One more thing that I have noticed is the VBE window does not open like it does normally as:
    a. It only shows the objects explorer and toolbar window.
    b. It does not show any of the toolbar ribbons.

I am attaching the snap only for clarity of my statements above as I am not sure that they convey the right message. The snap I have prepared on the home desktop and not on the office PC.

It is more and more intriguing case for me. The application is running smoothly otherwise. Thank you for looking into it!
    I have had this happen to me using Access 2007. In scenarios where I need to continue adding code, I close the VBE and reopen it. This usually gets me back to where I want. I don't know what causes it, but Alt+F4, Alt+F11 is a pretty quick switch. Does this not work for you?
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.

So I am not alone. All the buttons + shortcuts work fine.

The event that happens here is : if I close VBE window after doing necessary work and continue working in Excel. And then for some reason I have to lock window (say for a break) and unlock it then VBE window opens on its own.

What is the cause of this event?
    Regards,
    Shrivallabha

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Maybe worth asking on a Microsoft forum. I've had a quick look at the website, but can't see anything relating to this issue.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Maybe worth asking on a Microsoft forum. I've had a quick look at the website, but can't see anything relating to this issue.
    Thanks MD, I have posted it on the MSDN Excel Developer's Forum (I hope that is the correct forum) with following ID and have referenced this thread to avoid cross-posting horrors:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...2-cb2a17e3d850
    Regards,
    Shrivallabha

Didn't check it on msdn for a year. Now I checked as I had a word query and there's one helpful post.

So for someone who finds out this post...! Check, this link:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-cb2a17e3d850/
    Regards,
    Shrivallabha